How to get your license: Motor vehicle wholesaler

Who needs a license?

Businesses need a motor vehicle wholesaler license to sell these vehicles to licensed dealers:

  • Used cars
  • Used trucks
  • Used motor homes

If you don’t have a wholesaler license, it’s illegal to:

  • Sell more than 4 vehicles registered to you in any 12 months.
  • Buy and sell vehicles for the purpose of making a profit.
  • Sell any number of vehicles that aren’t registered to you.

Business site requirements

Your business site must:

  • Always have a telecommunications system that answers and/or relays incoming calls, such as:
    • an answering service,
    • telephone answering machine, or
    • voice or beeper pagers.
  • Have an on site area to maintain books, records, and files. If 2 or more vehicle dealer businesses share a location, all records, office facilities, and inventory must be physically separated and clearly identified.
  • Have a permanently affixed exterior sign on the land or building with the business name and business type (such as auto wholesaler).
  • Have an office facility in a commercial building in WA and meet local zoning and land use laws.
  • List all storage facilities for inventory with us (DOL).

You’re not required to maintain normal business hours or a phone book listing.

Licensing requirements

To get a license, you must have all the following:

How to apply

Mail all materials and fee with a check or money order payable to Department of Revenue:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034

Use our Dealer Checklist to make sure you’ve included everything in your application.

Note: Please let us know, in writing, if you have an address change so we can reach you with information about your license.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website