How to get your license: Motor vehicle wholesaler
Who needs a license?
Businesses need a motor vehicle wholesaler license to sell these vehicles to licensed dealers:
- Used cars
- Used trucks
- Used motor homes
If you don’t have a wholesaler license, it’s illegal to:
- Sell more than 4 vehicles registered to you in any 12 months.
- Buy and sell vehicles for the purpose of making a profit.
- Sell any number of vehicles that aren’t registered to you.
Business site requirements
Your business site must:
- Always have a telecommunications system that answers and/or relays incoming calls, such as:
- an answering service,
- telephone answering machine, or
- voice or beeper pagers.
- Have an on site area to maintain books, records, and files. If 2 or more vehicle dealer businesses share a location, all records, office facilities, and inventory must be physically separated and clearly identified.
- Have a permanently affixed exterior sign on the land or building with the business name and business type (such as auto wholesaler).
- Have an office facility in a commercial building in WA and meet local zoning and land use laws.
- List all storage facilities for inventory with us (DOL).
You’re not required to maintain normal business hours or a phone book listing.
To get a license, you must have all the following:
- $30,000 bond. Get through many insurance companies. Research the bond fees before you apply for a license.
- Copy of the business' site property tax statement or rental/lease agreement as proof of ownership. The rental/lease agreement must be for 1 year or more.
- The following forms:
- Business License Application
- Vehicle, Vessel, Vehicle Manufacturer, Registered Tow Truck Operator, or Wrecker Business Bond
- Vehicle Dealer Manufacturer Addendum
- Financial/Source of Funds Statement
- Sole proprietor or partnership, each person submits a separate form.
- Corporation, LLC, or LLP, submit 1 form that includes only the assets and liabilities of the business.
- Equifax does credit checks on each applicant. To clear anything up, contact the bank, lender, business or Equifax: 800.685.1111 or www.equifax.com.
- Personal Criminal History Statement – 1 for each owner, partner, corporate officer and member of the business.
- Fingerprint card – 1 for each owner, partner, corporate officer, and member of the business.
- Fingerprint cards are available by U.S. Mail only. To order, call 800.451.7985.
How to apply
Mail all materials and fee with a check or money order payable to Department of Revenue:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Use our Dealer Checklist to make sure you’ve included everything in your application.
Note: Please let us know, in writing, if you have an address change so we can reach you with information about your license.
Questions? Need help?