Getting started: E-Permitting
All vehicle dealers are required to use the E-Permitting system.
What you’ll need
- A computer with any operating system (such as Windows) and any of the following browser software:
- Internet Explorer 6 or newer
- Firefox 2 or newer
- Safari 3.1 or newer
- Internet access (broadband, DSL, or dial-up)
- Adobe Reader or similar software for reading PDF files.
- A laser or inkjet printer
How to get started
Follow these steps to get started with E-Permitting:
- Get a DOL access code for each user
- Register for E-Permitting
- Prepare staff member to use the system
- Get access to the E-Permitting system
- Purchase E-Permits
- Issue E-Permits
For an overview of these steps, including sample screens, see the E-Permitting presentation for the Washington State Independent Auto Dealers Association (WSIADA).
Before registering for E-Permitting, the dealership owner or manager must get a different DOL access code for each person who will be using the system. The 9-digit code will be used to identify each user on the E-Permit Online Access Application. Then each user will provide his or her code to SecureAccess Washington when they request access to the system.
To get a DOL access code for each user:
- Use the number displayed below for your first DOL access code.
- If more than one person will be using the E-Permitting system, click “Get another number” to display a different code number. Use this new number for the next person you want to register for E-Permitting. If you get a duplicate of a number you already have, click the button again to change the number.
- Repeat the previous step as needed until you have a different code number for each person who will be using E-Permitting. You may get additional numbers at any time by visiting this page again.
- The dealership owner or manager must complete a separate Vehicle Dealer E-Permit Online Access Application for each dealer number and dealer location code.
- Be sure to provide your dealership’s correct location code so the E-Permitting system will know which dealership location to credit with the E-Permits you purchased. Your location code can be found on your Business License in the upper right corner. We’ll email you to verify your location code if it is missing or incorrect on your form.
- Fill out all the information for each person who will be using E-Permitting, including a different DOL access code number for each person.
- It’s a good idea to keep copies of the completed forms so you can refer to the DOL access codes when each user is ready to register for SecureAccess Washington.
- Attach a copy of the Business License for the dealer number and location code you’re applying for. You must provide a separate application and copy of your Business License for each dealer number and location code you apply for. We must reject any applications that don’t include a copy of your Business License.
- Mail or fax the completed, signed application and the copy of your Business License to the location on the form.
- We’ll process your application and email you when you have been approved for access to the E-Permitting system. Don’t register with SecureAccess Washington until you’ve received an email from DOL E-Permitting notifying you that your dealership has been added to the system. Please allow 5 business days for processing.
Before staff members can use the E-permitting system, they must have all of the following:
- Training: All staff members registered for E-Permitting must complete the E-Permitting System Dealer User Training before using the system.
- DOL access code: Each user must register with SecureAccess Washington to get access to the E-Permitting system. When you register with SecureAccess Washington, you must provide your 9-digit DOL access code. This code must match the number assigned to you on the E-Permit Online Access Application form submitted for your dealership.
- Register with SecureAccess Washington
- Open your Internet browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari).
- Go to SecureAccess Washington at http://secureaccess.wa.gov.
- Click “Create one” (next to “Do not have an account?”).
- Click “Start” and enter the information requested on each screen. You’ll be asked to enter your personal information, create a user ID and password, enter the security code displayed, and click “submit.”
- Activate your SecureAccess Washington Account
You should get an email from SecureAccess Washington within 5 business days telling you whether your registration has been approved.
- After you register with SecureAccess Washington, you’ll get an email from them with instructions for activating your account. You will need to:
- Click the link provided in the email.
- Enter your user ID and password.
- Click “Login.”
- Once your account is activated, add E-Permitting to your list of services:
- Click on the “Add a New Service” tab.
- Enter “dolepermit” (without capital letters, spaces, or hyphens) in the “Service Code” box, and click “Apply.”
- Enter all the information requested on the screen, including your DOL access code, and click “Register.”
- Close your browser.
- Access the E-Permitting system for the first time
- If you’re approved, open your internet browser and go to SecureAccess Washington at http://secureaccess.wa.gov.
- Enter your user ID and password, and click “Login.”
- Click the underlined “DOL E-Permitting” link in the “My Services” tab, and you’ll be logged into the E-Permitting system.
- Go to your local vehicle licensing county agent or subagent to purchase E-Permits the same way you would purchase paper dealer temporary permits.
- Give the licensing clerk your dealer number and location code. Be sure to provide your dealership’s correct location code so the E-Permitting system will know which dealership location to credit with the E-Permits you purchased.
- Request the number of E-Permits you need (limit of 99 per transaction).
- Pay $15 for each E-Permit.
- Get your receipt from the licensing clerk. The receipt will list the E-Permit numbers assigned to your dealership.
After your transaction is complete, the range of E-Permit numbers listed on your receipt will be assigned to your dealership and will be issued when you sell a vehicle.
Now you are ready to issue E-Permits to your customers. For more information about how to use the E-Permitting system, see Using E-Permitting.
If you have questions about SecureAccess Washington, contact the Department of Information Services:
- Phone: 360-753-2454 or 1-888-241-7597
- Click “Help” on the page to login to your SecureAccess Washington account.
- Click “Contact Support.”
- Click the email button.
If you have general questions about accessing the E-Permitting system, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting started in E-Permitting
- New vehicle dealers
Members of the Washington State Auto Dealers Association (WSADA) can call them at 206-433-6300.
- Used vehicle dealers
Members of the Washington State Independent Auto Dealers Association (WSIADA), can call them at 253-735-0267 or email info@WSIADA.com.