Inspecting modified off-road motorcycles: Vehicle and vessel dealers

You must be a licensed motorcycle dealer or motorcycle repair shop in Washington to perform safety inspections on modified off-road motorcycles. To learn how to get your license, see:

Inspection requirements

When you inspect a modified off-road motorcycle to determine if it’s legal for road use, you must:

  • Check the vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • Inspect all the equipment identified in RCW 46.61.705, including:
    • Head lamp, tail lamp, and stop lamp.
    • Reflectors.
    • Brakes.
    • Mirrors.
    • Horn.
    • Tires.
    • Turn signals.
    • Fenders.
    • Windshield (if applicable).
  • Complete Part 1 of the Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration form and sign it to certify the equipment complies with state and federal requirements.

Note: The law doesn’t specify how the inspection is to be performed. It’s up to you to ensure that all equipment installed complies with state and federal requirements.

Inspection fees

You can’t charge more than $100 per inspection (RCW 46.16A.435). The fee must be paid directly to you, and you must attach a receipt to the Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration form showing the amount you charged.

State and federal requirements

Federal requirements

Washington State laws and rules

Explanation of abbreviations

  • RCW—Revised Code of Washington (Washington State laws)
  • WAC—Washington Administrative Code (Washington State agency regulations)

Related information

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website