Commercial License Permit (CLP)
Who can apply for a CLP
Any driver over 18 years old with a valid WA driver license. To operate commercial vehicles from state to state (interstate) you must be at least 21 years old.
How to apply for a CLP
- Apply for a CLP at a CDL/CLP office location that offers knowledge testing (call to find out).
- Bring your current license, Social Security number and proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency (see list of approved documents) for ID purposes. This is required under federal law (49 USC 31308) and WA state law (RCW 46.25.070).
- Pay the fees.
- Pass the knowledge test.
Note: You must hold a CLP for 14 days prior to taking the skills test.
How long is a CLP is valid
It’s valid for 180 days and can be renewed once in a 1 year period. After the 1 year and 2 CLP issuances all applicable knowledge tests would be required to be taken again.
CLP driving restrictions
After you’ve been issued a CLP:
- You must be accompanied when you drive a commercial vehicle. They must:
- Hold a valid CDL and have 2 years’ experience driving the type of commercial vehicle you are driving.
- Have at least 5 years’ total driving experience.
- Occupy the seat beside you for the purpose of giving instruction.
- You can’t operate any commercial vehicle classified or placarded for hazardous materials.
Questions? Need help?