CDL instruction permit (CDIP)
Who can apply for a CDIP
Any driver over 18 years old with a valid WA driver license. To operate commercial vehicles from state to state (interstate) you must be at least 21 years old.
How to apply for a CDIP
- Apply for a CDIP at a driver licensing office that offers knowledge testing (call to find out).
- Bring your current license and Social Security number, for ID purposes. This is a mandatory under federal law (49 USC 31308) and WA state law (RCW 46.25.070).
- Pass the knowledge test.
- Pay the fees.
How long a CDIP is valid
It’s valid for 6 months and may only be renewed once in a 2 year period.
CDIP driving restrictions
After you’ve been issued a CDIP:
- You must be accompanied when you drive a commercial vehicle. They must:
- Hold a valid CDL and have 2 years’ experience driving the type of commercial vehicle you are driving.
- Have at least 5 years’ total driving experience.
- Occupy the seat beside you for the purpose of giving instruction.
- You can’t operate any commercial vehicle classified or placarded for hazardous materials.