How to become an approved CDL training school

To qualify to provide CDL training courses, your school must be one of the following:

  • Public university, college, community college, or vocational school accredited by:
    • The Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
    • or
    • An accrediting association recognized by the Department of Education.
  • Licensed private vocational school.
  • Out-of-state school we have approved to provide training.

How to apply to become an approved CDL training school

Before your school can offer a CDL training course, we must review and approve your course outline and curriculum to ensure it meets the minimum training requirements.

To apply for approval send us all the following (see the application for where to send the materials):

  • CDL Training School Application.
  • Curriculum outlines for knowledge, attitudinal, and skill concepts. The outline should identify all the following:
    • The class of CDL (Class A, B, or C).
    • The specific training component/activity.
    • The core module the activity applies to (classroom, street driving, backing maneuvers, proficiency development, or lab/range/observation).
    • The total hours of instruction per module.
    • Instructional material and resources used to teach the course (textbooks, video, etc.).
    • The total hours of instruction for the entire course.

Private vocational schools also need to:

  • Submit a school application to the Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board (WTECB) ( at the same time you submit your curriculum outline to us. When we approve your curriculum outline, we'll notify WTECB. They won't approve your school until they receive notification from us that we've approved your curriculum.

How to get a school ID number

After we've reviewed and approved your curriculum outline, we'll mail you a letter with a unique school ID number assigned to your training school. You must place this number on each certificate form you issue.

How to submit changes

Any time you make changes such as address, phone number, authorized signers, etc., you must notify the CDL Program by:

  • Email:
  • or
  • Mail:
    CDL Program
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9030
    Olympia, WA 98507-9030

If you're a private vocational school and are significantly changing your course curriculum to meet the new minimum training requirements, you'll need to update your program information with WTECB (

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website