Steps to getting your CDL

CDL instruction permit (CDIP)

Find out how to get an instruction permit for a commercial driver license.

Medical certificates and self-certification

See which drivers must keep their medical certificates on file with us, and how to self-certify.

Training requirements

Learn about the training you’ll need to get a CDL, and find an approved training school near you.

Employer registration and certification

Find out how to register as an employer and issue an employer certification that an employee has the skills and training required to operate a commercial vehicle.


Learn how to get a CDL if you drive only for farming or agribusiness purposes.

Medical waivers

Find out about waivers for commercial drivers who don’t meet minimum medical standards.

Drug and alcohol testing

Learn about license disqualifications that can result from failing a drug or alcohol test.

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website