Transfer your CDL from another state
- Complete any required testing.
- Sign a CDL surrender form before you’re issued a Washington license with CDL.
- Complete the Self-Certification. If required, bring the documents you’ll need depending on the type of certification.
- If you surrender you’re out-of-state CDL and don’t get a Washington CDL at that time, you’ll be required to:
- Pay the fees.
Note: Please verify that your temporary document has been transferred correctly. If you have questions, please ask us.
You don’t need to test or show your training certificate when you transfer a valid CDL except when you want to:
- Maintain the hazardous materials endorsement (HME): Pay fees and pass the HME knowledge test.
- Upgrade, add endorsements, or remove restrictions: Pay fees and pass a knowledge and drive test.