Driving test: What to expect
The driving test measures your ability to drive legally and safely. An examiner rides with you to evaluate your driving. They won’t try to confuse, trick, or ask you to do anything illegal. These videos may help you:
What will I be tested on?
You’ll be tested on:
- Starting your vehicle.
- Leaving the curb, do you signal and wait until it’s safe to re-enter traffic?
- Controlling the vehicle, do you...
- Use the gas pedal, brake, steering wheel, and other controls correctly?
- Change your speed to suit the number and speed of other vehicles, pedestrians, road conditions, weather conditions, construction, amount of light, and the distance you can see ahead?
- Driving in traffic, do you...
- Use the proper lane?
- Signal to change lanes?
- Change lanes carefully?
- Follow other vehicles at a safe distance?
- Turn your head and look back before changing lanes?
- Signal the proper distance before turning?
- Obeying traffic signals and signs, do you...
- Turn into the proper lane without cutting the lane or going wide into the improper lane?
- Driving through blind or crowded intersections, do you...
- Scan carefully for signs, signals, pedestrians, and other vehicles?
- Yield and take the right-of-way correctly?
- Do you stop smoothly and at the right spot?
- Can you stop quickly and safely in an emergency?
- Backing up
- Do you look over your right shoulder?
- Can you back in a straight line?
- Do you have complete control of your car?
- Judging distance, do you stay a safe distance away from...
- Other cars when following or passing, or
- People walking or riding on the roadway?
- Respecting the rights of others
- Are you courteous to other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists?
- Do you pay full attention to the driving task?
- Performing specific maneuvers, can you successfully complete all of the following?
- Arms signals for right/left turns and slow or stop. (You may also use arm signals during the test.)
- A brake reaction test/emergency stop.
- Parking on a hill.
- Parallel parking.
- Simulating backing out of driveway or alley into traffic using a corner.