Replace your enhanced driver license (EDL)
How to replace your EDL while in Washington State
If your enhanced driver license (EDL) is lost or stolen, you can get a replacement online or at any driver licensing office. If your enhanced driver license will expire within 3 months, please renew it instead of getting a replacement.
- You can replace your EDL online if:
- You had a valid, unexpired EDL.
- You haven’t replaced or renewed your EDL online within the past 12 months.
- We have your Social Security number and current address on file.
- You’re at least 18 years old. If you’re under 18 years old, you and your custodial parent or legal guardian must go to a driver licensing office to get a replacement.
- You can’t replace your EDL online if:
- You have a commercial driver license (CDL).
- You moved out of Washington State.
- You changed your name from what is printed on your EDL.
- Your driving record shows you had a dishonored check, unpaid traffic fines, unpaid reissuance fee, suspension, revocation, or cancellation.
When you complete the online application:
- You can print a receipt for your records.
- After we approve your application, we’ll mail an exact copy of the lost or stolen EDL to the residence address we have on file for you. You should get your replacement EDL within 10 days. If you don’t get your replacement within 45 days, call us at 360-902-4071.
At an office
You can replace your EDL by visiting any driver licensing office. When you visit the office, bring all of the following:
- Your proof of identity.
- Payment for the fee. You may pay with:
- MasterCard and American Express credit or debit cards, and some Visa debit cards.
- Credit and debit cards not accepted at Coulee Dam, Davenport, Friday Harbor, Forks, Goldendale, Newport, Republic, or South Bend.
- A vendor-charged convenience fee is added to all transactions paid with a debit or credit card at driver licensing offices.
- If you’re under 18, your parent or guardian must come with you to sign an affidavit.
If you qualify, you’ll get a temporary EDL before you leave the licensing office. You should get your new EDL within 10 days. If you don’t get your replacement within 45 days, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to replace your EDL while out of state
Due to security requirements, we can’t mail an EDL to an out-of-state address. However, if you won’t be back in Washington State within 30 days, you may get a standard driver license to replace your EDL. The replacement license:
- Won’t include your photograph.
- Will be labeled “valid without photo” and “not valid for identification.”
- Expires on the same date as the EDL you’re replacing.
- Includes your motorcycle endorsement, if applicable.
Your license must be in good standing (not suspended, revoked, surrendered, or cancelled), and you’ll be required to surrender your EDL.
To request a standard driver license to replace a lost or stolen EDL:
- Complete a “Notice of Surrender” form for the lost or stolen EDL.
- Complete a Driver License Replacement/Renewal Request.
- Mail the completed forms with a check or money order payable to “Department of Licensing” for the fees to:
Driver Records — Record Updates
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9048
Olympia, WA 98507-9048
To have any of these forms sent to you, call 360-902-3900 or email email@example.com.