Things to know
Your valid unexpired permit allows you to drive in Washington State:
- In most cases, you can’t use a wireless or mobile device while driving. The only exceptions are to:
- report illegal activity
- get emergency help
- prevent injury to a person or property
- You must have a licensed driver (with at least 5 years of licensed driving experience) with you, regardless of your age.
- The licensed driver must sit in the right-front passenger seat.
- In addition to the licensed driver, you can have other passengers of any age.
- Everyone in the vehicle must wear a seat belt.
- Your permit is valid for 1 year. You can renew it by visiting an office and paying the renew instruction permit fee. You may renew up to 2 more times with permission from a driver licensing office supervisor. Contact an office for more information.
- Your Washington permit might not be valid for driving in another state. Contact the state where you’ll be traveling to find out if they’ll honor your Washington permit.
You must have an instruction permit before you can practice driving.