Get your WA identification card
To apply for a ID card:
- Pre-apply online and save time in the office.
- Finish your application at a driver licensing office. Bring the following with you:
Have your photo taken.
- Proof of identity, including your out-of-state license.
- Payment for the fee, options are:
- MasterCard and American Express credit/debit cards and some Visa debit cards.
- There's a vendor-charged fee on all credit/debit card purchases.
- Credit/debit cards not accepted at Coulee Dam, Davenport, Friday Harbor, Forks, Goldendale, Newport, Republic, and South Bend
- Before we take your photo, we’ll ask you to remove anything that covers your face or head (like a hat or sunglasses). We’ll make exceptions for medical and religious reasons.
- We use facial recognition technology to help prevent identity theft. This biometric technology focuses on facial features that aren’t easy to alter, such as eye sockets, cheekbones, and the sides of the mouth. It measures characteristics such as the distance between pupils and the size and shape of facial features. To learn more, see:
How to get an enhanced ID card (EID)
See Steps to getting your EDL/EID to learn how to get a Washington State enhanced ID card, which is an acceptable alternative to a passport for re-entry into the U.S. at land and sea border crossings.