What to do if you’re a victim
If your driver license/ID card, or instruction permit is lost or stolen immediately, get a replacement. See Replace your driver license or ID. You can also Replace your driver license while out of state
Note: We don’t place alerts on your record or cancel your license or ID card unless fraudulent activity is detected within the Department of Licensing (Agency).
If someone uses your name and birth date to get a driver license or ID card:
- File a report with your law enforcement agency.
- Contact our License Integrity Unit (see below).
- Immediately replace your driver license/ID card.
If someone is issued a traffic ticket using your identity:
- File a report with the law enforcement agency that issued the ticket.
- Contact the appropriate court and request an identification hearing to contest the ticket.
- To protect your driver license privileges, ask us to add a comment to your driving record by sending the following to our License Integrity Unit (see below):
- A written, signed request for a comment to be placed on your record.
- A copy of the police report or incident report stating the name of the law enforcement agency and details of the fraudulent activity.
- A copy of the court document showing the reason for the dismissed ticket (for example; wrong person cited, identity theft victim).
Questions? Need help?
License Integrity Unit
Our License Integrity Unit investigates criminal activity related to driver licenses, permits, and ID cards. We work with law enforcement, government agencies, and customers to minimize the impacts of identity theft, fraud, unethical conduct, and other criminal activity.
Crime Victims Advocacy Network
For legal questions about identity theft: