What to do if you’re a victim
If your driver license, ID card, or instruction (learner’s) permit is lost or stolen:
- Immediately get a replacement. To learn how, see:
Note: We won’t place an alert on your record or cancel your driver license or ID card unless fraudulent activity is detected within the Department of Licensing.
If someone is issued a Washington driver license or ID card using your name and date of birth:
- File a report with your local law enforcement agency.
- Contact our License Integrity Unit at the location shown below.
- Immediately replace your driver license or replace your ID card.
If someone is issued a traffic ticket using your identity:
- File a report with the local law enforcement agency that issued the ticket.
- Contact the appropriate court and request an identification hearing to contest the ticket.
- To protect your driver license privileges, you may ask us to place a comment on your driving record by sending all of the following to our License Integrity Unit at the location shown below:
- A written, signed request for a comment to be placed on your record.
- A copy of the police report or incident report stating the name of the law enforcement agency and details of the fraudulent activity.
- A copy of the court document showing the reason for the dismissed ticket (for example; wrong person cited, identity theft victim).
DOL License Integrity Unit
Our License Integrity Unit (LIU) is responsible for investigating criminal activity related to driver licenses, permits, and ID cards. We cooperate with law enforcement, government agencies, and customers to minimize the impacts of identity theft, identity fraud, unethical conduct, and other criminal activity.
Crime Victims Advocacy Network
For legal questions about identity theft, contact the Crime Victims Advocacy Network (CVAN):
- Phone: 1-866-722-2826 (24-hour toll free crisis line)
- Website: www.cvan11.org.
Frequently asked questions
Can you put a flag, alert, comment, or password on my record?
Unless someone is issued a traffic ticket using your name or identity information, or fraudulent activity is detected within the Department of Licensing (DOL), no notations will be added to your record.
How do I report suspected fraudulent activity by a DOL employee?
Immediately contact our License Integrity Unit at the location listed above.