There are 2 types of motorcycle testing:
The knowledge test measures how well you understand the rules of the road and how to safely operate your motorcycle. You must pass the knowledge test before you can get:
- An instruction permit to practice riding on public highways.
- A motorcycle endorsement, if you didn’t complete a motorcycle training course.
How to take the test
- If you take a motorcycle safety course, the knowledge test will be included in the course.
- If you don’t take a motorcycle safety course, you may take the knowledge test at any motorcycle training school.
Sample knowledge test questions
1. Passengers should:
- Lean as you lean.
- Hold on to the motorcycle seat.
- Sit as far back as possible.
- Never hold onto you.
2. The FRONT brake supplies how much of the potential stopping power?
- About one-quarter
- About one-half
- About three-quarters
- All of the stopping power
3. To swerve correctly:
- Shift your weight quickly.
- Turn the handlebars quickly.
- Press the handgrip in the direction of the turn.
- Press the handgrip in the opposite direction of the turn.
4. If a tire goes flat while riding and you must stop, it is usually best to:
- Relax on the handle grips.
- Shift your weight toward the good tire.
- Brake on the good tire and steer to the side of the road.
- Use both brakes and stop quickly.
5. The car is waiting to enter the intersection.
It is best to:
- Make eye contact with the driver.
- Reduce speed and be ready to react.
- Maintain speed and position.
- Maintain speed and move right.
Answers: 1–A, 2–C, 3–C, 4–C, 5–B
Riding skills test
The riding skills test measures your ability to operate a motorcycle legally and safely.
- If you take a motorcycle safety course, the riding skills test will be included in the course.
- If you don’t take a motorcycle safety course, you may take the riding skills test at any motorcycle training school after you pass the knowledge test.
What to expect at the riding test
During the test, you’ll be asked to complete the following tasks:
- Motorcycle Skills Test: Part 1, Cone Weave and Normal Stop (5 min, 49 sec)
- Motorcycle Skills Test: Part 2, Turn from a Stop and U-Turn (5 min, 18 sec)
- Motorcycle Skills Test: Part 3, Obstacle Swerve (4 min, 12 sec)
- Motorcycle Skills Test: Part 4, Quick Stop (4 min, 34 sec)
- Motorcycle Skills Test: Part 5, Curves (4 min, 31 sec)