Pre-apply – your first steps to getting your first driver license, instruction permit, or ID card.
Pre-applying saves you time! You can start some of the paperwork online and you’ll get a confirmation ID number you can use at our offices and at driver training schools.
- When you visit our office, we can pull up your record using your ID number. (Be sure to bring your identification documents with you.)
- If you’re taking a driver training course, give the confirmation ID number to your driver training school. They’ll send us a waiver electronically – which saves you a trip to our office.
- You’ll need to know your confirmation ID number. You may want to print it or write it down.
Who can pre-apply?
You can, if you:
- Have a Washington (WA) residence street address and
- Are getting your first WA:
- Driver license,
- ID card,
- Instruction permit, or
- Enhanced driver license/ID card (EDL/EID).
Who can’t pre-apply?
You can’t, if you:
- Don’t have a WA residence street address or have other address issues. Visit an office location to apply.
- Have or have had a WA driver license, instruction permit, or ID card. Visit an office location to apply.
- Are upgrading your license or ID card to an EDL or EID. Visit an EDL/EID office location to apply.
Questions? Need help?