- Find out if you can pre-apply
- Learn why to pre-apply
- Pre-apply online
1. Find out if you can pre-apply
You don’t need to pre-apply if you’ve had a WA driver license, instruction permit, or ID card within the last 6 years. You already have a record with us.
- You can visit an office location without pre-applying.
- If you’re taking driver training, you can give them your WA driver license, permit, or ID card number.
If you don’t already have a WA license, permit, or ID card you can pre-apply, if you:
- Have a Washington (WA) residence street address
- Are getting your first WA:
- Driver license,
- ID card,
- Instruction permit, or
- Enhanced driver license/ID card (EDL/EID).
You can’t pre-apply if you:
- Don’t have a WA residence street address or have other address issues. Visit an office location to apply.
- Are upgrading your license or ID card to an EDL or EID. Visit an EDL/EID office location to apply.
2. Learn why to pre-apply
Pre-applying saves you time! You can start some of the paperwork online and you’ll get a confirmation ID number you can use at our offices and at driver training schools.
- When you visit our office, we can pull up your record using your ID number. (Be sure to bring your identification documents with you.)
- If you’re taking a driver training course, give the confirmation ID number to your driver training school. They’ll send us a waiver electronically – which saves you a trip to our office.
- You’ll need to know your confirmation ID number. You may want to print it or write it down.
3. Pre-apply online
Pre-apply – your first steps to getting your first driver license, instruction permit, or ID card.
Questions? Need help?