Renew your driver license

Renew using your License eXpress account

Securely renew and update your driver license or ID card, vehicles, motorcycles, trailers, boats and their addresses all in one place!

To learn more, see What is License eXpress.


Renew online (without a License eXpress account)

Note: You must be at least 24 – 70 years old to renew online or through License eXpress. Other restrictions may apply.

What if I can't renew online?

You may renew:

  • By mail, if you’ve received our renewal letter.
  • At a driver licensing office:
    • Pass the vision screening.
    • Get a new photo taken.
    • Pay the fee

    Is your address up-to-date?

    Because your residence address is on your driver license, make sure it’s updated. If needed, please change your address before you renew.

    When can I renew?

    You can renew up to 1 year before your license expires. Typically, it expires on your birthday every 5 years.

    If you renew before you’re 21 your new license will be in the vertical format for minors. To get a horizontal-format license, you must be 21 years old.

    What if I haven't received my driver license yet?

    If you don’t get it within 30 days, contact us at

    Are you a twin or triplet?

    When you get your driver license or ID card, we may ask if you’re a twin or triplet. Answering this question is strictly voluntary.

    We share this information with the University of Washington Twin Registry. The Registry will contact you and ask if you’d like to join the Twin Registry. Periodically, as a Twin Registry member you may be invited to participate in scientific studies developed by prominent scientists from around the world. Learn more about this exciting program on the UW Twin Registry website.

    For military personnel

    You don’t need to renew during the term of your military service if you’re:

    • A member of the armed forces or National Guard on active duty.
    • A reservist called to duty for 180 days or more.
    • The spouse or dependent of an active member of the military.

    Your driver license remains valid as long as you’re on duty. For more information, see Military personnel.

    I received a driver license renewal notice or other correspondence for someone who's deceased, what should I do?

    When someone has passed away, a death certificate is issued by the county medical examiner or cororner. After it's been issued the Dept of Health notifies us. This can take several months.

    As soon as we receive the Dept of Health's notice, we'll update the person's record. This should stop all future correspondence. Your options are:

    • You can ignore the notice, or
    • Notify us by sending a copy of the death certificate by:
      • Email:
      • Fax: 360.570.7034
      • Mail:
        Dept of Licensing
        PO Box 9030
        Olympia, WA 98507
    • You don't have to return the person’s license or ID card. You can keep it as a momento if you wish or discard it.

    See also:

Washington Healthcare Finder
Access Washington