Replace your license or instruction permit
There are 3 options for replacing your driver license or instruction permit:
- Join or login to License eXpress.
Securely renew and manage your vehicles, motorcycles, trailers, boats, driver license and their addresses all in one place!
- Get a replacement online.
When you replace online:
- You must be at least 18 years old. If not, you must get a replacement at an office. (See Who can’t get a replacement online for other restrictions.)
- The license or permit must be still valid.
- Pay with a Visa, MasterCard, or American Express debit or credit card (no gift cards).
- Print the receipt, it’s your temporary card. Since it doesn’t include your photo, you can’t use it as identification.
- Get a replacement at an office.
When you visit the driver licensing office bring:
- Your proof of identity.
- Your glasses or contacts, if you need them to take the eye exam.
- If you’re under 18, your parent or guardian (so they can sign an affidavit).
- Payment for the fee. You may pay with:
- MasterCard and American Express credit or debit cards, and some Visa debit cards.
- Credit and debit cards not accepted at Coulee Dam, Davenport, Friday Harbor, Forks, Goldendale, Newport, Republic, or South Bend.
- A vendor-charged convenience fee is added to payments made with a debit or credit card.
Who can’t get a replacement online
You can’t replace your card online if:
- It expires within 3 months, please renew it instead.
- You’ve replaced it in the last 12 months.
- You’re under 18 years old.
- You need to replace a commercial driver license (CDL).
- You moved out of state.
- You changed your name from what’s printed on your license.
- Your record shows you have any of the following:
- A dishonored check
- Unpaid traffic fines
- Unpaid reissuance fee
- A suspension
- A revocation
- A cancellation
About your replacement license or permit
Your replaced card:
- Should arrive in 2 – 4 weeks. If you don’t get it within 45 days, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Will show the last photo we took.
- Will be mailed to the address we have on file. If it needs to be updated, change your address.
If you’re under 21
If you’re replacing a vertical-format card because you're under 21, your replacement will still be vertical. You must wait until you renew and you’re 21 years old to get a license in the standard horizontal format.