Replace your license or instruction permit

There are 3 options for replacing your driver license or instruction permit:

  • Join or login to License eXpress.
    Securely renew and manage your driver license, vehicles, motorcycles, trailers and their addresses all in one place! Need to renew your boat? You can do that through License eXpress too!
  • Get a replacement online.
    When you replace online:
    • You must be at least 18 years old. If not, you must get a replacement at an office. (See Who can’t get a replacement online for other restrictions.)
    • The license or permit must be still valid.
    • Pay with a Visa, MasterCard, or American Express debit or credit card (no gift cards).
    • Print the receipt, it’s your temporary card. Since it doesn’t include your photo, you can’t use it as identification.
  • Get a replacement at an office.
    When you visit the driver licensing office bring:
    • Your proof of identity.
    • Your glasses or contacts, if you need them to take the eye exam.
    • Payment for the fee.

Who can’t get a replacement online

You can’t replace your card online if:

  • It expires within 3 months, please renew it instead.
  • You’ve replaced it in the last 12 months.
  • You’re under 18 years old.
  • You need to replace a commercial driver license (CDL).
  • You moved out of state.
  • You changed your name from what’s printed on your license.
  • Your record shows you have any of the following:
    • A dishonored check
    • Unpaid traffic fines
    • Unpaid reissuance fee
    • A suspension
    • A revocation
    • A cancellation

About your replacement license or permit

Your replaced card:

  • Should arrive in 2–4 weeks. If you don’t get it within 45 days, contact us at
  • Will show the last photo we took.
  • Will be mailed to the address we have on file. If it needs to be updated, change your address.

Are you a twin or triplet?

When you get your driver license or ID card, we may ask if you’re a twin or triplet. Answering this question is strictly voluntary.

We share this information with the University of Washington Twin Registry. The Registry will contact you and ask if you’d like to join the Twin Registry. Periodically, as a Twin Registry member you may be invited to participate in scientific studies developed by prominent scientists from around the world. Learn more about this exciting program on the UW Twin Registry website.

If you’re under 21

If you’re replacing a vertical-format card because you’re under 21, your replacement will still be vertical. You must wait until you renew and you’re 21 years old to get a license in the standard horizontal format.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

  • Phone: 360.902.3900
  • Email:
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website