Replace your driver license while out of state
If your driver license is lost or stolen while you’re out of Washington State:
- You can replace it by mail if:
- Your license is in good standing (not suspended, revoked, surrendered, or cancelled).
- You won’t be back in Washington within 30 days.
- You can’t replace it by mail if:
- You have an enhanced driver license (EDL).
- You have a commercial driver license (CDL).
- Your license is suspended, revoked, surrendered, or canceled.
- You don’t have a valid Social Security number on file with us.
Your replacement license:
- Expires on the same date as your lost or stolen license.
- Includes your motorcycle endorsement, if applicable.
How to replace your license by mail
- Send us all of the following:
- Mail the completed form and fee to:
Department of Licensing
301 E Wallace Kneeland Blvd, Ste 224, PMB 334
Shelton, WA 98584-2987
To learn how to replace your driver license if you’re serving in the military outside of Washington State, see Military personnel.
Frequently asked questions
My name has changed. Can I update it by mail?
You can’t change the name on your license by mail. Washington law requires drivers who want to change the name on their license to apply for a new one at a driver licensing office. However, you can still request a replacement license by mail and it will show the name currently on your license.
Questions? Need help?
Call 360.902.3900 or email: email@example.com.