Replace your driver license while out of state

If your driver license is lost or stolen while you’re out of Washington State:

  • You can replace it by mail if:
    • Your license is in good standing (not suspended, revoked, surrendered, or cancelled).
    • You won’t be back in Washington within 30 days.
  • You can’t replace it by mail if:
    • You have an enhanced driver license (EDL).
    • You have a commercial driver license (CDL).
    • Your license is suspended, revoked, surrendered, or canceled.
    • You don’t have a valid Social Security number on file with us.

Your replacement license:

  • Expires on the same date as your lost or stolen license.
  • Doesn’t include your photograph or signature.
  • Is labeled “valid without photo” and “not valid for identification.”
  • Includes your motorcycle endorsement, if applicable.

How to replace your license by mail

  1. Send us all of the following:
  2. Mail the completed form and fee to:
    Department of Licensing
    301 E Wallace Kneeland Blvd, Ste 224, PMB 296
    Shelton, WA 98584-2987

Military personnel

To learn how to replace your driver license if you’re serving in the military outside of Washington State, see Military personnel.

Frequently asked questions

How can I receive a replacement license with my photograph?
When you return to Washington State, visit any driver licensing office with your photo ID. After you meet all requirements, you’ll be issued a license with a photograph.

My name has changed. Can I update it by mail?
You can’t change the name on your license by mail. Washington law requires drivers who want to change the name on their license to apply for a new one at a driver licensing office. However, you can still request a replacement license by mail and it will show the name currently on your license.

More information

If you have other questions, please contact call 360.902.3900 or email

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website