Failure to appear in court or pay tickets (FTA)
Why was my license suspended or revoked?
Your license was suspended or revoked because you didn’t pay a ticket or appear in court as required.
How long will my license be suspended or revoked?
Until you pay the fine or comply with the requirement to appear in court.
Can I get a restricted license?
You may be eligible for an Occupational/Restricted License (ORL), if you:
- Submit proof you’ve entered into a payment plan with the court. The courts will complete an FTA Payment Plan Verification form and give it to you so you can apply for a restricted license.
- Have sent us proof of financial responsibility (usually an SR-22).
Can I contest or appeal the suspension?
You may request an administrative review within 15 days from the date on your suspension or revocation letter. The letter we sent to you includes a form to request an appeal.
How can I get my license back?
- Once your failure to appear has been cleared with the court, they’ll issue a certificate of adjudication.
- After the court notifies us that your failure to appear has been cleared, we’ll update your driving record to show your license isn’t suspended or revoked any more.
- Apply for a new license.
- You’ll be required to pay a $75 reissue fee in addition to your other licensing fees.
Get step-by-step instructions
There may be other issues you’ll need to take care of to get your license back. To find out what you need to do, see Learn how to reinstate your license.