Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (Title) Application
Use the Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (Title) Application form to:
- Transfer ownership of a vehicle into your name.
- Add or remove a registered owner on a vehicle title.
- Register a vehicle for the first time in Washington State.
How to fill out the form
The only areas of the form you must fill out are:
- Plate or TPO — Enter the Washington State license plate number or the Title Purpose Only (TPO) number. If you don’t have one of these numbers, leave this area blank.
- Color #1 — Enter the primary color of the vehicle.
- Color #2 — Enter the secondary color of the vehicle. If your vehicle only has one color, leave this area blank.
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) – You can find this number on the vehicle title or registration, or on the dash or driver door post of the vehicle.
- Model YR — Enter the year your vehicle was made.
- Pwr — Fill in the primary fuel type of the vehicle (gas, diesel, hybrid, electric, propane, etc.). The Honda Insight and the Toyota Prius are currently the only vehicles that can be registered as a hybrid.
- Use — Enter “passenger” (2-door or 4-door), “truck,” “travel trailer,” “motorcycle,” etc.
- Make — Enter the manufacturer of the vehicle (Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, Honda, etc.)
- Series/Body Type — Tell us if the vehicle is a 2-door, 4-door, pickup, convertible, etc. You can find this information on the vehicle’s title or registration.
- Scale weight — Enter the empty weight of the vehicle. If the scale weight isn’t on the title or registration, you must weigh the vehicle at a vehicle scale and submit documentation of the scale weight with this application.
- Mileage — Enter the odometer reading of the vehicle. If the odometer disclosure area on the vehicle title isn’t complete, and the vehicle is less than 10 years old, you must include a completed Odometer Disclosure Statement with this application.
- New Registered Owner — Complete this section as you would like it to appear on your registration. The resident address must be a physical street address in Washington State.
- New Legal Owner or Lienholder — Complete this section only if the legal owner or lienholder is different than the registered owner.
- Notarization/Certification for Registered Owner(s) Signature – All registered owners must sign the completed form in front of a licensed notary public or in person at a vehicle licensing office.
How to submit the form by mail
- Fill out the form as described above.
- All registered owners must provide the driver license number from their unexpired Washington license, unless they’re exempt from getting a driver license under RCW 46.20.025.
- Notarize the form by having all the registered owners sign the form in front of a licensed notary public.
- If your address is outside Washington State, or mail delivery isn’t available at your Washington State address, complete a Certificate of Fact of Address Verification — Exception form and include it with your completed application.
- Mail your notarized application form with all supporting documents and a check or money order for the fee (payable to “Department of Licensing”) to any vehicle licensing office.
How to submit the form at an office
Visit a vehicle licensing office. The licensing agent will help you through the process.
- All registered owners will be required to:
- Sign the form in front of the licensing agent.
- Present their unexpired Washington licenses, unless they’re exempt from getting a driver license under RCW 46.20.025.
- Be sure to bring:
- The current vehicle title or, if you’re coming from a non-titling state, a copy of the registration.
- Cash or check for the fee.
Call us at 360.902.3770 if you need help filling out this form.