Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest

Use the Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest/Gross Weight License form to:

How to replace a Washington title, license plates, registration, tabs, or vessel decal

Submit the completed form and fees to a vehicle licensing office.

How to release interest in a vehicle or vessel you’re selling, trading, or giving away

Submit a completed Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest form and a completed Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (Title) Application to a vehicle licensing office.

  • All legal and registered owners shown on the title must sign the Release of Interest to transfer the title to the new owner.
  • If the form is signed in the presence of a vehicle licensing agent, the agent can certify the signatures and you don’t need to have the form notarized.

Filing deadlines

  • Buyer: You must transfer the title within 15 days of the date of sale.
  • Seller:You must file a Report of Sale within 5 days of the date of sale, excluding weekends and state holidays.

Special instructions

Odometer disclosure: Vehicles 9 years old or newer
An Odometer Disclosure Statement is required when transferring ownership of a motor vehicle that is 9 years old or newer, unless exempt. You can get a disclosure form at any vehicle licensing office.
Name change
If you’re changing your name on a title, you must submit all of the following with the Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest: Notes:
  • A power of attorney can’t be used to change a person’s name on a title unless specifically authorized in the POA.
  • You don’t need to release interest in the vehicle in your former name to change your name on the title.
  • If you add or delete registered owners, you must complete a title transfer.
  • If the name change is due to business mergers, please contact a vehicle licensing office for help.
Financial institutions
If you’re releasing interest on a vehicle sold to a Washington dealer or resident, you can speed up the process by giving the released title or Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest to the buyer with a Release of Interest from the seller (your debtor). The buyer can then take the documents to any vehicle/vessel licensing office and transfer the title.
Vehicles and boats held in trust
If the title/registration shows… The Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest must be signed by…
Only the trustees names followed by the designation trustee
(Example: John Doe, trustee)
All trustees shown
The trustees names followed by the designation trustee and name of the trust
(Example: John Doe, trustee John Doe Family Trust)
All trustees shown
Only the name of the trust
(Example: John Doe Family Trust)
Any trustees designated in the trust document
Trustees must also:
  • Provide a copy of the trust pages or “Certificate or Abstract of Trust” that shows the name of the trust and the trustees.
  • Sign a notarized or certified Certificate of Fact that states:
    I, [Name], am Trustee of [Name of Trust] and have authority under said trust and applicable Washington State laws to [Action being taken: e.g., apply for a duplicate title, release interest, apply for new plate] for this vehicle (or vessel).
Owners of vehicles titled in a Massachusetts Trust must provide a copy of the Certificate of Incorporation for a Massachusetts Trust issued by the Secretary of State’s office to verify the Declaration of Trust was filed.
Owner deceased
You may sell or keep a vehicle or vessel you inherit.
If… Attach these additional documents…
The transfer of ownership is the result of legal action (administered, probated, court ordered)
“Joint Tenants with Rights of Survivorship” appears on the vehicle record and title. Copy of the death certificate
There is a community property agreement.
  • Copy of the death certificate
  • and
  • Copy of the community property agreement
The estate isn’t administered.
  • Copy of death certificate
  • and
  • Completed Affidavit of Inheritance (release of interest if required), or affidavit of succession (optional) if the estate is under $100,000
Power of Attorney (POA)
To properly sign by power of attorney:
  1. Print or sign the name of the person or business granting power of attorney “by.”
  2. Sign your name, adding “POA” after your signature. If signing for a business, include your job title and company name.
If you are a… Sign like this…
Person signing for an individual John Q. Public by Jane C. Doe, POA
Person signing for a business Business Inc. by Jane C. Doe, POA
Business signing by power of attorney for another business Business Inc. by Jane C. Doe, POA, V.P. for Business 2 Inc.

Questions? Need help?

For fee amounts or help filling out this form, please contact your local vehicle licensing office.

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website