Driver License Renewal Request While Out-of-State
Use the Driver License Renewal Request While Out-of-State form to apply for a renewal of your standard Washington State driver license if you’re outside of Washington State.
- We’ll send your license to the address you provide on your application. (We don’t mail to Washington State addresses.)
An exact replacement license has a photograph and signature.
The form must be filled out completely and all questions must be answered. Print the form on white paper and include all of the following with your completed application:
- All necessary fees.
- Any supporting documents required for license restrictions and endorsements as described below.
License restrictions and endorsements
- Medical/vision certification: If you’re required to periodically send us medical or vision certificates, you must include one of the following with your replacement/renewal request:
- Motorcycle endorsement: You may renew a motorcycle endorsement along with your driver license for an additional $25 fee.
- Commercial driver license: If your commercial driver license (CDL) is lost or stolen while you’re out of state, you can’t get a duplicate by mail. However, you can surrender your CDL and renew or replace your regular driver license.
- To renew or replace your driver license without a CDL, submit a Commercial Driver License Notice of Surrender with your replacement/renewal request. You’ll have up to 1 year to reinstate your CDL without providing proof of training or taking required tests. When you return to Washington, visit a driver licensing office to reinstate your CDL.
- Enhanced driver license: If your enhanced driver license/ID card (EDL/EID) is lost or stolen while you’re out of state, you can’t get a duplicate by mail. You must visit a driver licensing office to renew or replace your license when you return to Washington.
- If you won’t return to Washington within 30 days, you may surrender your EDL/EID and renew or replace your regular driver license by mail. For details, see Replace your enhanced driver license.
Note: Please remember to enclose all necessary documents and fees with your completed application. Your request will be denied if your application is incomplete.
Questions? Need help?