Google™ Translate Limitations & Disclaimer

Alternative Fuel Vehicles and Plug-In Hybrids Washington State Tax Exemptions

Getting a new electric, plug-in hybrid, hydrogen, or natural gas vehicle? You may be able to get a tax exemption!

Starting July 1, 2016, if you buy or lease a new passenger car, light duty truck, or medium duty passenger vehicle which is exclusively powered by a clean alternative fuel or a plug-in hybrid that can travel at least 30 miles on battery power alone, you may be eligible for a tax exemption. The exemptions are:

  • For new vehicles eligible for use on Washington public roads. Used vehicles aren't eligible.
  • For the first 7,500 vehicles titled in Washington between July 15, 2015 and July 1, 2019:
    • 6,843 vehicles have qualified as of March 06, 2018
  • Only available for these vehicles:


    • BMW i3
    • BMW i3 Range Extender
    • Chevrolet Bolt
    • Chevrolet Spark EV
    • Fiat 500e
    • Ford Focus Electric
    • Honda Fit EV 2014
    • Hyundai Ioniq electric vehicle
    • Kia Soul Electric
    • Mercedes-Benz B250e
    • Mercedes-Benz B-class
    • Mercedes-Benz Smart for two electric drive
    • Mitsubishi i-MiEV
    • Nissan Leaf
    • Tesla Model 3
    • Volkswagen e-Golf

    Plug-in hybrid electric

    • Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid
    • Chevrolet Volt
    • Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid Only (2017-2018)

    Natural gas

    • Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
    • Chevrolet 2500 25 4x2 HD 1WT CNG
    • Chevrolet Express Cargo 2500
    • Chevrolet Express Cargo 3500
    • GMC Savana Cargo 2500
    • GMC 3500 4X2 4x2 35 SLE DRW CNG

    Neighborhood electric

    • Canadian Electric Vehicles Might-E Truck
    • E-ride EXV2 and EXV4 (manufacturer E-Ride Industries)
    • Electro Bubble Buddy LSV 8 Passenger Roadsters Low Speed Vehicle (Sold by Moto Electric Vehicle's)
    • Polaris GEMs (e2, e4, e6, eL XD, and eM 1400 LSV)
    • Vantage trucks (EVX1000 and EVR1000) and passenger van (EVC1000 and EVP1000)
    • Xtreme Green Police Pro ATV
    • Eco Truck and Eco Van (Wuling Automobile distributed by EcoCentre Electric)

If you qualify for the exemption

How it's applied depends on where you buy your vehicle. If you buy it from a:

  • Washington dealer, they will process the transaction without collecting the exempt taxes.
  • Dealer outside of Washington, bring your paperwork to a vehicle licensing office. You won't pay the exempt part of the tax.

For more information check the Department of Revenue's Incentive Programs: Deferrals, Exemptions, and Credits page:

  • Look for "Clean Alternative Fuel and Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles - Sales/Use Tax Exemptions"

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call DOR's Information Center: 1.800.647.7706

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website