Take a survey: Tell us how we're doing!

Boats: Visiting Washington waters

Visits of 60 days or less

You don’t need a permit to be on Washington waters for up to 60 days, as long as your boat:

  • Is currently registered in another state.
  • or
  • Has a current U.S. Coast Guard documentation paper.

Visits longer than 60 days

If you’ll be on Washington waters for more than 60 days, you must apply for a permit on or before the 60th day of your visit.

How to apply for a permit

To apply for a permit, visit a vehicle/boat licensing office and bring along:

  • Your unexpired state boat registration.
  • Identification from your state.

Renewing your permit

You may renew the permit once for an additional 60 days. When the renewed permit expires, you must either register your boat in Washington or remove your boat from Washington waters.

Clean your boat before you float

To prevent the spread of aquatic nuisance species, decontaminate your boat, trailer, and gear before entering Washington. For details, see Aquatic invasive species (Department of Fish and Wildlife).

See also

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website