Fleet Account Program
The Fleet Account Program makes it easier to renew the registrations of several vehicles owned by the same Registered Owner. Fleets must be operated only within the State of Washington. The following types of vehicles can be assigned a fleet account:
- Passenger vehicles
- Motor homes
Types of fleet accounts
|Type of account
||Number of vehicles in fleet|
- If the number of currently-licensed vehicles falls below 5, you no longer qualify for fleet status. You won’t get a fleet billing notice anymore. You’ll get standard renewal notices for your vehicles instead.
- When the number of currently-licensed vehicles reaches 50 or more, the account doesn’t automatically change to a Permanent fleet.
||50 or more vehicles
- If the number of currently-licensed vehicles falls below 50, your fleet will automatically be changed to a Regular fleet. You’ll get tabs and registration receipts for each vehicle each year.
Note: If your vehicle fleet operates in more than 1 state, you may want to take advantage of licensing options available through the International Registration Plan (IRP).
Registration and tabs
- Regular fleets: Registration certificates and tabs are issued for each vehicle each year when registration is renewed.
- Permanent fleets: Registration certificates and tabs are issued when each vehicle is first added to the fleet. (License records are renewed each year, but no new tabs and certificates are issued.)
How to set up a fleet account
- Be sure all the vehicles you plan to have in your fleet have exactly the same registered owner’s name on each vehicle’s Certificate of Ownership (title). If the name is listed differently, take the title to your local vehicle licensing office to have it transferred to the correct name.
- When all the titles show the same registered owner, work with your local vehicle licensing agent to set up a fleet account.
- Bring any required emission tests results.
- Bring any required proof of Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (FHVUT) payment.
- If any of the vehicles have a current registration that does not expire on December 31, you may be required to pay additional fees to get a December 31 current-year expiration date.
- The vehicle licensing agent will contact Department of Licensing headquarters to assign you a fleet account number.
The registration of all the vehicles in a fleet account expires on December 31 each year.
Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax
For information about submitting your Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Form (2290), contact your local Internal Revenue Service office (www.irs.gov) or call 800.829.1040.