Fuel licenses: Aircraft fuel

Things to know

By July 1, 2016, existing Fuel Tax customers must register for a new license and provide a new bond. This is due to new requirements going into effect from the Fuel Tax consolidation law signed in 2013.

License type

Aircraft Fuel Distributor License: Allows the purchase of non–taxed aircraft fuel for resale. This license includes both aviation gasoline and jet fuel.

How to get your license

There are two ways to apply:

  1. Apply online through TAP – PRFT Taxpayer Access Point
  2. or
  3. Send a completed Fuel Tax License Application to:
    Department of Licensing
    Fuel Tax Unit
    PO Box 9228
    Olympia, WA 98507–9228

How to file your tax return

  1. Online through TAP – PRFT Taxpayer Access Point.
    • You can enter tax information into TAP
    • or
    • Upload an Excel template containing your tax information. Contact our office at 360.664.1852 for a copy of the Excel template.
  2. XML Data Transfer – Transfer your tax information from your computer system into our system.
  3. By mail:
    • With payment enclosed:
      Prorate and Fuel Tax
      Department of Licensing
      PO Box 3777
      Seattle, WA 98124–3777
    • Without payment enclosed:
      Fuel Tax Section
      Department of Licensing
      PO Box 9228
      Olympia, WA 98507–9228

For more information about completing your return, see Aircraft Jet Fuel and Aviation Gas Tax Return Instructions.

Aircraft fuel tax rate

Type of fuel Tax rate
Aircraft fuel $.11 per gallon

Due dates

The WA State Treasurer must receive your tax payment on or before the following dates:

2016 due dates

Reporting period Tax return and EFT payment due*
January February 25, 2016
February March 25, 2016
March April 25, 2016
April May 25, 2016
May June 24, 2016
June July 25, 2016
July August 25, 2016
August September 23, 2016
September October 23, 2016
October November 25, 2016
November December 23, 2016
December January 25, 2017

*If they receive your payment after the:

  • Due date, you'll incur a penalty.
  • 1st of the following month, interest will  accrue.

Payment options

  • If you owe $50,000 or more, pay only by electronic funds transfer (EFT)
  • If you owe less than $50,000, pay by check, money order, or electronic funds transfer

Contact your bank to complete EFTs. Submit a separate transmittal for each tax type

Related laws and rules

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website