Fuel tax facts
We provide a wide variety of services related to fuel tax and commercial motor carriers, including:
- Fuel tax collection, audits, and refunds
- Investigation of illegal fuel imports and dyed diesel
- Commercial motor carrier registration
To learn more about us and what we do, please see What we do and Prorate and Fuel Tax Services.
Fuel tax categories
There are 3 types of fuel tax. Each requires a different license, fuel tax return, and payment. For more information about getting a license, filing a return, and paying the fuel tax for each type of fuel, see:
Where fuel tax money goes
All fuel taxes collected are placed in the Motor Vehicle Fund. The Motor Vehicle Fund is used to support highway programs including:
- Constructing and maintaining state, city, and county roads, bridges, and ferries.
- Purchasing rights of way.
- Installing, maintaining, and operating traffic and signal lights.
- Policing state public highways.
- Operating movable span bridges.
Exempt Fuel to Yakama Nation
Fuel Tax Paid Credit for Fuel Purchased in Washington State