Fuel tax facts

Things to know

June 30, 2016 – All current fuel tax licenses expired. You’ll need to apply for a new fuel tax license to continue operations in Washington. Please register your account through the Taxpayer Access Point (TAP). TAP gives you an easier and faster way to manage your fuel tax accounts.

TAP is now available for Fuel Tax customers and Fuel Tax Refund Permit accounts. We may experience some delays with the implementation of the new system. Please be patient with our staff.

We provide a variety of services related to fuel tax and commercial motor carriers, including:

  • Fuel tax collection, audits, and refunds.
  • Investigation of illegal fuel imports and dyed diesel.
  • Commercial motor carrier registration.

Types of fuel tax

Type Fund Supports
Motor vehicle fuel or special fuel tax Motor Vehicle Fund Highway programs including:
  • Constructing and maintaining state, city, and county roads, bridges, and ferries.
  • Purchasing right of ways.
  • Installing, maintaining, and operating traffic and signal lights.
  • Policing state public highways.
  • Operating movable span bridges.
Aircraft fuel tax Aeronautics Fund Aeronautics Commission and public airports.
Heating oil insurance fee Pollution Liability Insurance Agency (PLIA) We collect the fee on behalf of PLIA. Contact PLIA (plia.wa.gov) with any questions about this fee.

Each category requires a different license, tax return, and payment.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website