Fuel licenses: Heating oil
- Vehicle and vessel licensing offices can’t perform transactions on Saturday, December 10.
- Vehicle and vessel online services won’t be available December 7-12 while we update our system.
- On December 12, 2016, we’ll begin using a new vehicle and vessel computer system.
- In the days following the launch of our new system, you may experience longer than usual wait times.
Learn more: DOL vehicle licensing system will be down on December 10 for system replacement (licensingexpress.wordpress.com).
How to get your license
Complete a Heating Oil License Application and mail it to the address on the form.
How to file your return
Complete an Heating Oil Insurance Fee Return and:
Insurance fee rate
|Type of fuel
||$.012 per gallon|
Heating oil distributors must file an insurance fee return on or before January 25 every year. If the 25th falls on a weekend or holiday, returns are due on the next business day.
Heating oil insurance fee payments must be made by check or money order payable to the Department of Licensing.
Pollution Liability Insurance Agency
We collect heating oil fees and remit them to the Pollution Liability Insurance Agency (PLIA) as required by law. PLIA is responsible for the:
- Heating Oil Pollution Liability Insurance Program, which provides pollution liability coverage for heating oil tanks. This program was created in response to the rising number of heating oil tank releases and the significant impact contamination had on property values and the environment.
- Heating Oil Technical Assistance Program, which provides technical assistance to owners of heating oil tanks not covered under the heating oil insurance program.
For more information about PLIA’s Heating Oil Program: