How to renew your tabs

  • Join or login to License eXpress.
    Securely renew and manage your vehicles, motorcycles, trailers, driver license and their addresses all in one place. Need to renew your boat? You can do that through License eXpress too!
    • Pay with a Visa, MasterCard, or American Express debit or credit card (no gift cards).
    • To learn more, see What is License eXpress.
  • Renew online without using your License eXpress account.
    • Pay with MasterCard, Visa, or American Express (no gift cards).
  • Renew in person at a vehicle licensing office.
    • Pay with cash, check, or money order. Some debit/credit cards are accepted at most offices.
  • Renew by mail.
    • Pay with a check or money order.

When you can renew

You can renew up to 6 months before your tabs expire.


See what kind of requirements you may need to do before or when you renew.

When you’ll get your…

  • New tabs and registration
    • By mail, within 5 business days (tabs renewed through busier offices or mailed out-of-state may take longer). If you don’t get them within 15 business days, contact the vehicle licensing office you ordered them from.
    • If you’re picking them up, they should be ready when you get to the office. You’ll need to show photo ID.
  • New license plates
    If you got new plates, they’re usually mailed separately (not with your tabs) in 5 business days. For more information, see Required plate replacement plates.

If you don’t get your new tabs within 15–90 days, you may be able to get replacement tabs. See Replace lost or damaged tabs to learn more.

Renewal reminders

By email

If you sign up for email reminders:

By mail

If you haven’t signed up or email reminders, or have unsubscribed, we’ll mail paper renewal reminders to the address we have on file. Please keep your address updated to receive them.

Military members may extend tab expiration date

If you’re in the military, stationed outside of Washington, you may request that we extend your registration and tabs expiration date by 1 year from the date you apply. To learn more, see Military personnel: WA residents stationed outside the state.


When you renew, you’ll have the option to donate to the Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness Account and the State Parks Account. For details, see Donations.

Washington Healthcare Finder
Access Washington – official state government website