How to get your license and decals: IFTA

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is an agreement among all states and Canadian provinces (except Alaska, Hawaii, Yukon, and Northwest Territories) that standardizes the reporting of fuel use taxes by motor carriers operating in more than 1 state or province.


You qualify for an IFTA license if you operate:

  • Commercial vehicles over 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight in 2 or more states or provinces.
  • Vehicles with 3 or more axles regardless of weight.
  • A combination of vehicles that weigh more than a total of 26,000 pounds gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight (doesn't include recreational vehicles).

How to apply for an IFTA license

  1. Review the New IFTA Member welcome packet for detailed information on filling out your application.
  2. Complete an application and mail it with your supporting documents and required fees to the address on the form. You can get an application:

How to get decals

Complete a Washington IFTA Decal Application and mail it with your payment to the address on the form.


Description Fee
Washington IFTA license No fee
IFTA decals $10 per set

How to change your address

To update your IFTA account or service bureau address, mail a completed IFTA Change of Address with any required attachments to:

Department of Licensing
PO Box 9228
Olympia, WA 98507-9228

Related information

We moved

The Prorate and Fuel Tax customer counter in Olympia has moved. Effective April 17, 2017, you can find us at:

6135 Martin Way E
Lacey, WA 98516
Map and driving directions
Parking is available in front of the building. No semi-trucks please.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We're working toward resuming full business operations as soon as possible. Services are still available via Taxpayer Access Point.

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website