IFTA tax returns
- Vehicle and vessel licensing offices can’t perform transactions on Saturday, December 10.
- Some vehicle and vessel online services, like tab renewal, won’t be available December 7-12 while we update our system.
- On December 12, 2016, we’ll begin using a new vehicle and vessel computer system.
- In the days following the launch of our new system, you may experience longer than usual wait times.
Learn more: DOL vehicle licensing system will be down on December 10 for system replacement (licensingexpress.wordpress.com).
Fuel Tax Increase
Effective July 1, 2016, fuel tax rate increases to $0.494.
How to file a return
You must submit your return even if payment is not due.
You can find current sales tax allowance rates listed under "Refund amount" on Fuel tax refunds. In the same section, you'll find a listing of current and previous fuel tax, sales tax, and Federal fuel tax amounts.
Complete an International Fuel Tax Agreement Tax Return form. Sign and date it.
- If you’re including a payment mail to:
Prorate and Fuel Tax
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777
- If you’re not including a payment mail to:
Fuel Tax Section
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9228
Olympia, WA 98507-9228
Fax: 360.570.7839 or 360.586.9729
For more help filling out the form, see IFTA Tax Return Information and Instructions.
Interest charged on late returns
The late return interest is set annually at 2 percentage points above the underpayment rate established by the IRS. This rate accrues monthly at 1/12 the annual rate.
Current interest rates
- Annual rate: 5% (3% IRS rate + 2% IFTA rate)
- Monthly rate: .00417% (1/12 of 5% annual rate)
If you owe $100 of fuel taxes and submit your IFTA tax return 1 month late:
- $100 fuel tax owed x .00417% interest for 1 month the return was late = .42 cents interest
- $100 fuel tax owed + .42 interest for 1 month = $100.42 total due
How to request copies of your return
To get copies of your IFTA tax returns:
- Use the Washington State IFTA Information Release Request.
- Service bureaus: Attach a copy of the Power of Attorney signed by your client.
- Send documents:
- We’ll send the information within 5 business days.
If you want to get the tax rate schedule for all states
We’ll process your request within 5 business days.
Questions? Need help?
Email us: PRFTQuestions@dol.wa.gov