IFTA tax returns

Fuel Tax Increase

Effective July 1, 2016, fuel tax rate increases to $0.494.

How to file a return

You must submit your return even if payment is not due.

You can find current sales tax allowance rates listed under "Refund amount" on Fuel tax refunds. In the same section, you'll find a listing of current and previous fuel tax, sales tax, and Federal fuel tax amounts.

Complete an International Fuel Tax Agreement Tax Return form. Sign and date it.

  • If you’re including a payment mail to:
    Prorate and Fuel Tax
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 3777
    Seattle, WA 98124-3777
  • If you’re not including a payment mail to:
    Fuel Tax Section
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9228
    Olympia, WA 98507-9228
    Fax: 360.570.7839 or 360.586.9729

For more help filling out the form, see IFTA Tax Return Information and Instructions.

Interest charged on late returns

The late return interest is set annually at 2 percentage points above the underpayment rate established by the IRS. This rate accrues monthly at 1/12 the annual rate.

Current interest rates

  • Annual rate: 5% (3% IRS rate + 2% IFTA rate)
  • Monthly rate: .00417% (1/12 of 5% annual rate)

If you owe $100 of fuel taxes and submit your IFTA tax return 1 month late:

  1. $100 fuel tax owed x .00417% interest for 1 month the return was late = .42 cents interest
  2. $100 fuel tax owed + .42 interest for 1 month = $100.42 total due

How to request copies of your return

To get copies of your IFTA tax returns:

  1. Use the Washington State IFTA Information Release Request.
    • Service bureaus: Attach a copy of the Power of Attorney signed by your client.
  2. Send documents:
  3. We’ll send the information within 5 business days.

If you want to get the tax rate schedule for all states

We’ll process your request within 5 business days.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Email us: PRFTQuestions@dol.wa.gov

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website