Recordkeeping requirements: IRP (prorate)
- Vehicle and vessel licensing offices can’t perform transactions on Saturday, December 10.
- Some vehicle and vessel online services, like tab renewal, won’t be available December 7-12 while we update our system.
- On December 12, 2016, we’ll begin using a new vehicle and vessel computer system.
- In the days following the launch of our new system, you may experience longer than usual wait times.
Learn more: DOL vehicle licensing system will be down on December 10 for system replacement (licensingexpress.wordpress.com).
Records you must keep
Motor carriers must maintain detailed mileage distance and records for each individual vehicle. These records:
- Must substantiate the information filed with us.
- Must be summarized monthly, quarterly, and annually, by fleet and state or Canadian province.
- Are subject to audits.
Records must include:
- Motor carrier name
- Vehicle fleet number
- Operator equipment number (OEN) or vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Beginning and ending odometer or hub odometer reading for each trip
- Starting and ending date of trip
- Trip origin and destination by city
- All pick-up and delivery locations
- Fueling locations
- Routes of travel
- Mileage by state or Canadian province: highway, nonhighway, and deadhead
- Total trip distance
- Original fuel invoices, including:
- Customer name
- Seller name
- Fuel type
- Tax paid
- OEN or VIN
How long to keep your records
- IRP vehicle mileage records must be kept for 4 years following the period the registration application was based on.
- The Driver’s Daily Logs required by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) must be maintained for 4 years if they represent the only source documentation for operations.
Other state and federal agencies may have different recordkeeping requirements and record retention periods. If an audit finds you have missing or inadequate records, you may receive an adjustment to:
- Fuel consumption
- Tax-paid credits
- Jurisdictional distances
- Monies owed
Questions? Need help?
- IRP (general questions) — call: 360.664.1858 (Motor Carrier Services)
- Records required for an audit — call: 360.664.1447 (Audit unit)