Recordkeeping requirements: IRP (prorate)

Records you must keep

Motor carriers must maintain detailed mileage distance and records for each individual vehicle. These records:

  • Must substantiate the information filed with us.
  • Must be summarized monthly, quarterly, and annually, by fleet and state or Canadian province.
  • Are subject to audits.

Records must include:

  • Motor carrier name
  • Vehicle fleet number
  • Operator equipment number (OEN) or vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • Beginning and ending odometer or hub odometer reading for each trip
  • Starting and ending date of trip
  • Trip origin and destination by city
  • All pick-up and delivery locations
  • Fueling locations
  • Routes of travel
  • Mileage by state or Canadian province: highway, nonhighway, and deadhead
  • Total trip distance
  • Origin fuel invoices, including:
    • Date
    • Customer name
    • Seller name
    • Gallons
    • Fuel type
    • Tax paid
    • OEN or VIN

How long to keep your records

  • IRP vehicle mileage records must be kept for 4 years following the period the registration application was based on.
  • The Driver’s Daily Logs required by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) must be maintained for 4 years if they represent the only source documentation for operations.

Note: Other state and federal agencies may have different recordkeeping requirements and record retention periods. If an audit finds you have missing or inadequate records, you may receive an adjustment to:

  • Fuel consumption
  • Tax-paid credits
  • Jurisdictional distances
  • Monies owed

More information

If you have questions about… Call…
IRP (general questions) 360.664.1858 (IRP unit)
Records required for an audit 360.664.1818 (Audit unit)
Washington Healthcare Finder
Access Washington – official state government website