Moving? Get WA plates

When to register your vehicle

You have 30 days to title, register and get WA plates for your vehicle after it arrives here.

Make sure you get your WA driver license first. You’ll need it when you register your vehicle(s).

If you travel these routes you may also want to register for Good to Go! account:

How to register your vehicle

You may register by mail or at a vehicle licensing location.

At an office

  1. Meet the special requirements that apply to your vehicle.
  2. Visit a vehicle licensing location and submit all of the following:
    • Vehicle Certificate of Ownership Application. All registered owners must:
      • Present their unexpired WA driver license number, unless they’re exempt from getting a license under RCW 46.20.025.
      • Sign the form in front of the agent so they can certify your signature(s).
    • Out-of-state title.
      • If you’re still making payments, copy the front and back of the title.
      • If you don’t have the title, contact a vehicle licensing location for instructions.
  3. Fees – check or money order payable to Department of Licensing.

By mail

  1. Meet the special requirements that apply to your vehicle.
  2. Submit all of the following:
  3. Mail your application, documents, and fees to a vehicle licensing location.

Special requirements

If you’re registering a vehicle… Meet this requirement…
That’s less than 10 years old. Submit an Odometer Disclosure Statement with your application. It’s available at vehicle licensing locations.
That’s 2009 or newer:
  • Car
  • Light-duty truck
  • SUV
  • Passenger van
It must meet California emission standards to be registered, leased, rented, licensed, or sold for use in WA. See Clean Car emission requirements.
In these counties: Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish, or Spokane. You may need to pass an emissions test before you register your vehicle. See Emissions testing.
That’s been registered in another state and owned for less than 90 days. Include Vehicle/Vessel Bill of Sale or Dealership purchase agreement showing proof of any taxes paid.
Where the vehicle weight isn’t on the out-of-state title. You may be required to show the vehicle weight slip. You could get the weight from a vehicle licensing location or weigh your vehicle at a scale house in WA.
Where any owners listed on the out-of-state title are deceased or need to be removed. Contact a vehicle licensing office for instructions.
That’s a RV, motor home, or trailer. You may be required to present proof of sales tax. If you don’t have proof you’ll be required to pay use tax.

See also:

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website