Dispose of old plates
- Vehicle and vessel licensing offices can’t perform transactions on Saturday, December 10.
- Vehicle and vessel online services won’t be available December 7-12 while we update our system.
- On December 12, 2016, we’ll begin using a new vehicle and vessel computer system.
- In the days following the launch of our new system, you may experience longer than usual wait times.
Learn more: DOL vehicle licensing system will be down on December 10 for system replacement (licensingexpress.wordpress.com).
If you replace any type of license plate except those listed below, you may dispose of the old plates in any of the following ways:
If you replace any of the following types of plates, you must return the old plates to a vehicle licensing office:
- Commercial Vehicle plates (gross weight over 12,000 pounds)
- Personalized plates
- Disabled Parking plates
- Collector Vehicle plates
- Horseless carriage plates
- Baseball Stadium plates
- Amateur Radio Operator (HAM) plates
- Disabled American Veteran plates
- Purple Heart plates
- Medal of Honor plates
- Pearl Harbor survivor plates
- Gold Star plates