Renew your tabs
- Vehicle and vessel licensing offices can’t perform transactions on Saturday, December 10.
- Vehicle and vessel online services won’t be available December 7-12 while we update our system.
- On December 12, 2016, we’ll begin using a new vehicle and vessel computer system.
- In the days following the launch of our new system, you may experience longer than usual wait times.
Learn more: DOL vehicle licensing system will be down on December 10 for system replacement (licensingexpress.wordpress.com).
Your tab renewal options:
When can I renew my tabs?
You can renew up to 6 months before your tabs expire. Do you want to get renewal reminders?
Use your License eXpress account to see what addresses we have on file.
What might I need to do before or when I renew?
- If you’ve recently moved, make sure you update your address. Use your License eXpress account to see what addresses we have on file.
- If required, before you renew, take your car in for emissions testing. You don’t need to bring your renewal notice to the test station.
- See other possible requirements.
- Pay any possible tickets or tolling fees (WA Department of Transportation).
Donations and other options when you renew:
- You’ll have the option to donate to:
- Purchase options:
How long does it take to get my tabs?
- By mail, within 5 business days. If you don’t get them within:
- If you’re picking them up, they should be ready when you get to the office. You’ll need to show photo ID.
Are you part of the military or uniformed services?
If you’re stationed outside of Washington when your tabs expire, you may be able to get a new expiration date.
If your current tabs expired less than 12 months ago, we’ll give you a new full year registration period. Apply for a new registration period through a vehicle licensing location:
- By mail — Send all items below to an office of your choice:
- Your tab renewal notice,
- Copy of your military orders, and
- Check/money order payable to DOL.
- In person — Bring a copy of your military orders, so we can verify your deployment dates, with a check or money order for fees.
Questions? Need help?