Report the sale of a boat
- Vehicle and vessel licensing offices can’t perform transactions on Saturday, December 10.
- Vehicle and vessel online services won’t be available December 7-12 while we update our system.
- On December 12, 2016, we’ll begin using a new vehicle and vessel computer system.
- In the days following the launch of our new system, you may experience longer than usual wait times.
Learn more: DOL vehicle licensing system will be down on December 10 for system replacement (licensingexpress.wordpress.com).
By law, you must tell us within 5 days when your boat has been:
- Sold privately.
- Given as a gift to another person.
- Traded, either privately or to a dealership.
- Donated to charity.
- Turned over to an insurance company.
- Disposed of.
How to file the report of sale
Mail the Vessel Report of Sale to the address on this form.
When you file the report, make sure you have:
- Date of the sale or transfer.
- Name and address of the person to whom the boat was sold or transferred.
- The vessel registration and certificate number.
- The hull ID number (HIN).
- The make, model, and year.
Note: Filing a report of sale doesn’t transfer ownership, but it does release the seller from civil and criminal liability.