Report the sale of a boat

Important information

  • Vehicle and vessel licensing offices can’t perform transactions on Saturday, December 10.
  • Vehicle and vessel online services won’t be available December 7-12 while we update our system.
  • On December 12, 2016, we’ll begin using a new vehicle and vessel computer system.
  • In the days following the launch of our new system, you may experience longer than usual wait times.

Learn more: DOL vehicle licensing system will be down on December 10 for system replacement (

By law, you must tell us within 5 days when your boat has been:

  • Sold privately.
  • Given as a gift to another person.
  • Traded, either privately or to a dealership.
  • Donated to charity.
  • Turned over to an insurance company.
  • Disposed of.

How to file the report of sale

Mail the Vessel Report of Sale to the address on this form.

Required information

When you file the report, make sure you have:

  • Date of the sale or transfer.
  • Name and address of the person to whom the boat was sold or transferred.
  • The vessel registration and certificate number.
  • The hull ID number (HIN).
  • The make, model, and year.

Note: Filing a report of sale doesn’t transfer ownership, but it does release the seller from civil and criminal liability.

Related information

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website