How an organization can get a new special plate design
Who can request a new plate design?
You can, if you meet the sponsoring organization requirements, see RCW 46.18.100 (leg.wa.gov).
To request a new plate, your organization must be:
- Non-government organization located in WA and be a:
- Government agency:
- County, city, town, municipal corporation, or special taxing jurisdiction,
- Federally recognized tribe,
- State agency,
- Community or technical college.
How to apply
We are revising the process and will post updated instructions as soon as they’re ready. In the meantime, you can start with these items:
- Design the proposed plate.
- Develop marketing strategies including:
- Short and long-term marketing plans.
- Financial analysis of the anticipated revenue and how the revenue will be spent.
- Get your legislative sponsor’s signature for the proposed legislation.
- Provide proof that your organization qualifies.
- Collect a minimum of 3,500 signatures from people who intend to purchase the new plate.
Did you know?
The moratorium for special plate applications ended July 1, 2015.
Questions? Need help?