Organizations: How to get a special plate design
- Find out who can request a new plate design
- Design the plate and gather the supporting materials you'll need
- Apply for your special plate
- Introduce the bill with your legislative sponsor
1. Find out who can request a new plate design
To request a new plate, your organization must:
- Be located in WA
- Meet the sponsoring organization requirements, see RCW 46.18.100: Sponsoring organization requirements.
- And be a:
- Nonprofit, see 26 USC Sec. 501(c)(3) — Exemption from tax on corporations, certain trusts, etc. (cornell.edu)
- Professional sports franchise working in conjunction with a nonprofit organization.
- Government agency:
- County, city, town, municipal corporation, or special taxing jurisdiction,
- Federally recognized tribe,
- State agency,
- Community or Technical College.
2. Design the plate and gather the supporting materials you'll need
3. Apply for your special plate
4. Introduce the bill with your legislative sponsor
- Once you've been approved, you'll need to discuss introducing the bill with your legislative sponsor.
Questions? Need help?