How to create a new special license plate
We review requests for new specialty license plates and the legislature approves them.
Who can apply
You can apply to have a plate design created if you’re a:
- Non-profit organization
- Government agency
- Community college
- Qualifying organization (Email us to see if you qualify.)
How to apply
The legislature extended the moratorium on new special license plates during the 2011 legislative session. We can’t accept any applications until the moratorium ends on July 1, 2015. (See RCW 46.18.060.)
To apply after the moratorium ends:
- Email us: SpPlateUnit@dol.wa.gov to get current start-up fees and application packet.
- Mail your application and payment:
Special License Plate Unit Manager
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9048
Olympia, WA 98507-9048
- We’ll review your application.
- If we approve your application, you must seek legislative approval for the new plate series.
- If the legislature approves the new series, you have 30 days from the date the bill was passed to have a written agreement with us.