How to create a new special license plate

Requests for new specialty license plates are reviewed by the Department of Licensing and approved by the legislature as described below.

Who can apply

You can apply to have a plate design created if you’re a:

  • Non-profit organization
  • Government agency
  • Community college
  • Qualifying organization (Contact us to see if your organization qualifies.)

How to apply

The legislature extended the moratorium on new special license plates during the 2011 legislative session. We can’t accept any applications until the moratorium ends on July 1, 2015. (See RCW 46.18.060.)

To apply for a new special license plate after the moratorium ends:

  1. Email us at to get current start-up fees and an application packet.
  2. Mail your completed application and payment for the fees to:
    Special License Plate Unit Manager
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9048
    Olympia, WA 98507-9048
  3. We’ll review your application.
  4. If we approve your application packet, you must then seek legislative approval for the new plate series.
  5. If the legislature approves the new series, your organization must enter into a written agreement with us within 30 days from the date the bill was passed.

Currently applying for special plates

The following organizations are currently in the process of completing the requirements for applying to the Special License Plate Review Board:

Contact information

  • Phone: 360.902.3710
  • Fax: 360.570.7892
  • Email:
  • Mail (correspondence only):
    Special License Plate Unit Manager
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9909
    Olympia, WA 98507-8500
Washington Healthcare Finder
Access Washington