Disabled American veteran license plate

Disabled American Veteran plates

Disabled American veterans may be exempt from license fees on 1 vehicle per year. These special plates or tabs are good for the life of the vehicle, but don’t grant disabled parking privileges. For information about disabled parking, see Disabled parking.


To qualify for these special plates, applicants must:

  • Have served in any branch of the armed forces of the United States, Reserves, or National Guard
  • and
  • Have received both of the following:
    • An honorable discharge or a discharge for medical reasons with an honorable record.
    • A 100% service-connected disability rating from the Veterans Administration or the military service from which the veteran was discharged.

How to apply

  1. Get a letter of eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs verifying a 100% service-connected disability.
  2. Complete a Military License Plate Application.
    • Check the box for Disabled American Veteran plates or Disabled American Veteran tabs.
    • Be sure to sign and date the form.
  3. Mail the completed application and letter of eligibility to:
    Vehicle Licensing
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9909
    Olympia, WA 98507-8500

Remember to update your Good To Go! account

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the license plate number and contact information on your account if you get a new special plate. You can update your account with the Department of Transportation:

How to renew

You aren’t required to renew your Disabled American Veteran license plates or tabs.


There is no fee for Disabled American Veteran plates or tabs.

Washington Healthcare Finder
Access Washington – official state government website