Disabled American Veteran plates
Disabled American veterans may be exempt from paying license fees on 1 vehicle per year. To qualify for these special plates, applicants must:
- Have served in any branch of the armed forces of the United States, Reserves, or National Guard
- Have received both of the following:
- An honorable discharge or a discharge for physical reasons with an honorable record.
- A 100% service-connected disability rating from the Veterans Administration or the military service from which the veteran was discharged.
No disabled parking privileges
Disabled American Veteran plates are good for the life of the vehicle, but don’t grant disabled parking privileges. To learn how to get disabled parking privileges, see Disabled parking.
How to apply
- Get a letter of eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs verifying a 100% service-connected disability.
- Complete a Military License Plate Application.
- Mail the completed application with the letter of eligibility to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9909
Olympia, WA 98507-8500
How to renew
You aren’t required to renew your Disabled American Veteran license plates.