Gold Star Parent plates
Gold Star Parent license plates are available to parents of United States armed forces members who have died while in the service, or as a result of their service.
To qualify, you must be certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs as 1 of the following:
- Birth mother or birth father
- Stepmother or stepfather
- Mother or father through adoption
- Other adult who fulfilled the parental role, such as foster parent, kinship care provider, or caretaker relative. (Additional documentation required.)
How to apply
- Request a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying you are a qualifying parent of a member of the United States armed services.
- Contact your local vehicle licensing office to determine the exact cost of your license plates, including all licensing and service fees.
- Submit the letter from Department of Veterans Affairs, a copy of your vehicle registration, and fees:
How to renew
There are no special requirements for renewing your Gold Star Parent license plates. To renew, pay all licensing fees and:
Personalize your plates
For an additional fee, you may get personalized plates with a Gold Star Parent background design. For more information, see Personalized plates with a special background design.