Amateur radio operator (HAM) license plate

Amateur Radio Operator (HAM) plates


To get HAM license plates, you must:

  • Have a license issued by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
  • Be a Washington State vehicle owner.

About HAM plates

  • You may get a set of Amateur Radio Operator (HAM) plates for 1 vehicle registered in your name.
  • Your HAM license plates will show the call letters assigned to you by the FCC.

How to apply

  1. Complete a Special License Plate Application. Be sure to provide:
    • A copy of your valid FCC license.
    • and
    • The registration of the vehicle your HAM plates will be issued to.
  2. Mail the completed application, copy of your FCC license, copy of your vehicle registration, and a check or money order payable to “Department of Licensing” for the fees to:
    Vehicle Licensing
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9909
    Olympia, WA 98507-8500

Remember to update your Good To Go! account

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the license plate number and contact information on your account if you get a new special plate. You can update your account with the Department of Transportation:

How to renew

You must renew your HAM plates every year, even if you’re not using the vehicle. There are no special requirements for renewing HAM license plates. You can:

If your plates are canceled

If your HAM plates are canceled because your FCC license became invalid or you didn’t renew your plates within 45 days of the expiration date:

  • You must reinstate them (WAC 308-96A-070). To reinstate your plates:
    • Reapply for the plates as described above.
    • and
    • Pay the original license plate fee (RCW 46.18.205).


To get original plates:

  • Cars and trucks: $32.75
  • Motorcycles: $14.75
  • Trailers: Not available

To renew:

There’s no additional special plate fee for a HAM plates, but you must still pay all required vehicle registration and tab renewal fees. (Registration and tab renewal fees vary by location and type of vehicle.)

Note: Fees listed don’t include the cost of vehicle registration or tab renewal. Some offices may charge an additional service fee.

Washington Healthcare Finder
Access Washington