Military Affiliate Radio System plate

Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) plates


To qualify for MARS plates, you must:

  • Be a Washington resident.
  • Be the registered owner, co-owner, lessee, or co-lessee of the Washington vehicle that will display the plates.
  • Have an Affiliate Radio License authorized by the U.S. Department of Defense, and issued by a military branch.

How to apply

  1. Complete a Special License Plate Application and include all of the following:
    • A copy of your Affiliate Radio License, authorized by the U.S. Department of Defense and issued by a military branch.
    • A copy of the current vehicle registration for the vehicle being issued the MARS plates.
  2. Mail the completed application, supporting documents, and a check or money order payable to “Department of Licensing” for the fees to:
    Vehicle Licensing
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9909
    Olympia, WA 98507-8500

Remember to update your Good To Go! account

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the license plate number and contact information on your account if you get a new special plate. You can update your account with the Department of Transportation:

How to renew

You must renew your tabs on your MARS plates every year, even if you’re not using the vehicle. There are no special requirements for renewing MARS license plates. You can:

What to do if your plates are canceled

If your MARS plates are canceled because your station license became invalid or you didn’t renew your plates within 45 days of the expiration date:

  • You must reinstate them (WAC 308-96A-071). To reinstate your plates:
    • Reapply for the plates as described above.
    • and
    • Pay the original license plate fee.
  • They can be reissued to anyone who applies for them. If this happens, you must turn your plates in to us (RCW 46.18.265).


To get original plates:

  • Cars and trucks: $32.75
  • Motorcycles: Not available
  • Trailers: Not available

To renew:

There’s no additional special plate fee for a MARS plates, but you must still pay all required vehicle registration and tab renewal fees. (Registration and tab renewal fees vary by location and type of vehicle.)

Note: Fees don’t include the cost of vehicle registration or tab renewal. Some offices may charge an additional service fee.

Washington Healthcare Finder
Access Washington – official state government website