Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) plates
Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) plates can be assigned to any motor vehicle owned by a Washington State resident who has been issued a MARS license by the U.S. Department of Defense.
To qualify for MARS plates, you must:
- Be a Washington resident.
- Be the registered owner, co-owner, lessee, or co-lessee of the Washington vehicle that will display the plates.
- Have an Affiliate Radio License authorized by the U.S. Department of Defense, and issued by a military branch.
How to apply
- Complete a Special License Plate Application.
- Include all of the following with your application:
- A copy of your Affiliate Radio License, authorized by the U.S. Department of Defense and issued by a military branch.
- A copy of the current vehicle registration for the vehicle being issued the MARS plates.
- Mail the completed application, supporting documents, and a check or money order payable to “Department of Licensing” for the fees to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9909
Olympia, WA 98507-8500
How to renew
You must renew your MARS plates every year, even if you’re not using the vehicle. There are no special requirements for renewing your MARS license plates. To renew, pay all licensing fees and:
If your plates are canceled
If your MARS plates are canceled because your station license became invalid or you didn’t renew your plates within 45 days of the expiration date:
- You must reinstate them (WAC 308-96A-071). To reinstate your plates:
- Reapply for the plates as described above.
- Pay the original license plate fee.
- They can be reissued to anyone who applies for them. If this happens, you must turn your plates in to us (RCW 46.18.265).