Armed forces license plate designs

Armed Forces plates

There are 6 types of armed forces license plates:

  • Air Force
  • Army
  • Coast Guard
  • Marine Corps
  • National Guard
  • Navy


To qualify for armed forces plates, you must be:

  • A Washington State resident.
  • and
  • At least 1 of the following:
    • A veteran
    • An active duty military employee
    • A reservist
    • A member of the Washington National Guard
    • The spouse of deceased veteran
    • A family member of a qualifying veteran as described above

How to apply

  1. Complete a Military License Plate Application and provide any of the following to prove you’re eligible for armed forces plates:
    • DD214
    • Discharge papers
    • Military identification
    • or
    • Declaration of Fact (found on the Military License Plate Application).
  2. Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out how much your plates will cost, including all licensing and service fees.
  3. Submit your completed application, supporting documents, and fees:
    • At a vehicle licensing office.
    • or
    • By mail to:
      Vehicle Licensing
      Department of Licensing
      PO Box 9909
      Olympia, WA 98507-8500

If you want to personalize your plates

You may get personalized plates with an armed forces background design for an additional $52. For details and how to apply, see Personalized plates with a special background design.

Remember to update your Good To Go! account

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the license plate number and contact information on your account if you get a new special plate. You can update your account with the Department of Transportation:

How to renew

There are no special requirements for renewing armed forces license plates. You can:


To get original plates:

  • Cars and trucks: $67.75
  • Motorcycles: $49.75
  • Trailers: $55.75

To renew:

$30 special plate fee plus your tab renewal fees (Tab renewal fees vary by location and type of vehicle.)


  • $28 of fees go to support the Veterans Stewardship Account at the Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Fees listed don’t include the cost of vehicle registration or tab renewal. Some offices may charge an additional service fee.
Washington Healthcare Finder
Access Washington – official state government website