Purple Heart plates
- Vehicle and vessel licensing offices can’t perform transactions on Saturday, December 10.
- Some vehicle and vessel online services, like tab renewal, won’t be available December 7-12 while we update our system.
- On December 12, 2016, we’ll begin using a new vehicle and vessel computer system.
- In the days following the launch of our new system, you may experience longer than usual wait times.
Learn more: DOL vehicle licensing system will be down on December 10 for system replacement (licensingexpress.wordpress.com).
- What you need to do to qualify.
- Find out the initial cost for plates
- Submit your proof, payment and application.
- Update your Good-to-Go! account, if you have one.
- Renewing your plates
1. What you need to do to qualify
This plate is available to you if you’re a WA state vehicle owner and you have proof (DD214):
- That you were issued the Purple Heart
- You’re a surviving spouse or domestic partner of a deceased Purple Heart recipient.
Note: These plates are not available for trailers.
2. Find out the initial cost for plates
Initial cost for plates with the next available number. Yearly plate renewal fees will apply.
Initial cost for personalized plates. Yearly plate renewal fees will apply.
Save money. If your tabs expire in 6 months or less, save money by getting your new plates and tabs at the same time.
3. Submit your proof, payment, and application
Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total cost of your plates.
Mail your proof and payment with the Military License Plate Application:
- Provide proof – a copy of your DD214.
- If you’re a surviving spouse or domestic partner of a deceased Purple Heart recipient, provide a copy of the recipient’s death certificate and an affidavit that you haven’t remarried.
4. Update your Good To Go! account
If you have an account, update it with your new plates:
5. Renewing your plates
You must renew your plates every year, even if you’re not using the vehicle. If you have personalized plates, see Renew your personalized plates every year.