Former Prisoner of War license plate

Former Prisoner of War plates

Important information

  • Vehicle and vessel licensing offices can’t perform transactions on Saturday, December 10.
  • Vehicle and vessel online services won’t be available December 7-12 while we update our system.
  • On December 12, 2016, we’ll begin using a new vehicle and vessel computer system.
  • In the days following the launch of our new system, you may experience longer than usual wait times.

Learn more: DOL vehicle licensing system will be down on December 10 for system replacement (


  1. What you need to do to qualify.
  2. Find out the initial cost for plates
  3. Submit your proof, payment and application.
  4. Update your Good-to-Go! account, if you have one.
  5. Renewing your plates

1. What you need to do to qualify.

This plate is available to you if you’re a WA state vehicle owner and you have proof that you were a prisoner of war.

You’re also exempt from paying license fees on 1 vehicle each year if you:

  • Received an honorable discharge or discharged for physical reasons with an honorable record, or
  • Were captured or incarcerated for 29 or more days during a war with an enemy of the United States, or
  • Are the surviving spouse of a deceased former prisoner of war.

2. Find out the initial cost for plates

There’s no cost to get these plates or tabs.

3. Submit your letter, payment and application

Mail your proof and payment with the Military License Plate Application:

  • For proof, get a letter of eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Check the box for Former Prisoner of War plates or Former Prisoner of War tabs.
  • If you’re a surviving spouse provide copies of your spouse’s death certificate and marriage certificate.

4. Update your Good To Go! account

If you have an account, update it with your new plates:

5. Renewing your plates

You’re not required to renew your Former Prisoner of War license plates or tabs.


Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website