Veteran/military service award emblem sample

Veteran/military service award emblems

These emblems can be put on any license plate type, and include:

  • 1 large emblem – military service or award.
  • and
  • 2 smaller emblems – service ribbon, medal, or U.S. flag.

Requirements to get an emblem

  • You must be the legal or registered owner of the vehicle.
  • You must provide proof of your military service or award.
  • Display emblems on bottom of license plate, see example above.
    • Between bolt holes – put wording.
    • Outside of bolt holes – put ribbons or U.S. flags.

Take your application, proof of eligibility and fee to an office

Bring these items to a vehicle licensing office:

  • Veteran/Military Service Award Emblem Application – sign this form in front of a licensing service representative.
  • Bring $15 cash or a check/money order payable to Department of Licensing.
  • Attach proof that you’re eligible:
    • For veterans – DD214.
    • For active military duty – Orders awarding a campaign ribbon or medal.

How to replace your emblems

Visit a vehicle licensing office and bring:

  1. Photo ID so we can certify your signature.
  2. DD214 or other proof of the awards or ribbons you’re eligible to have.

Types of emblem designs

Veteran/military service awards
(Choose 1)
Ribbons, medals, and flags
(Choose 2)
  • Air Force Cross
  • Bronze Star Medal
  • Distinguished Flying Cross
  • Distinguished Service Cross
  • Navy Cross
  • Silver Star Medal
  • U.S. Veteran
  • Afghanistan Campaign Medal
  • Air Force Cross
  • American Campaign Medal WWII
  • Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
  • Armed Forces Services Medal
  • Asiatic–Pacific Campaign Medal WWII
  • European–African–Middle Eastern Campaign Medal WWII
  • Bronze Star Medal
  • Distinguished Flying Cross
  • Distinguished Service Cross
  • Iraq Campaign Medal
  • Korean Defense Medal
  • Korean Service Medal
  • Kosovo Campaign Medal
  • Merchant Marines Atlantic War Zone Medal
  • Merchant Marines Middle East War Zone Medal
  • Merchant Marines Pacific War Zone Medal
  • National Defense Medal
  • Navy Cross
  • Silver Star Medal
  • Southwest Asia Service Medal
  • U.S. Flag (no eligibility required)
  • Vietnam Service Medal
  • War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
  • War on Terrorism Service Medal
  • World War I Victory Medal
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website