Veteran/military service award emblems
Veteran/military service award emblems may be displayed on any type of license plate, and include:
- 1 large emblem describing your military service or award.
- 2 smaller emblems showing a service ribbon, medal, or the U.S. flag.
- You must be the legal or registered owner of the vehicle on which the emblem will be displayed.
- You must provide proof of your military service or award.
- The emblem must be displayed on the bottom of the license plate with the wording between the bolt holes and the ribbons or U.S. flags outside each bolt hole, as shown in the the example.
Types of emblem designs
You may choose from the following types of emblems, ribbons, and flags:
|Veteran/military service awards
|Ribbons, medals, and flags|
- Air Force Cross
- Bronze Star Medal
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Distinguished Service Cross
- Navy Cross
- Silver Star Medal
- U.S. Veteran
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal
- American Campaign Medal WWII
- Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
- Armed Forces Services Medal
- Asiatic–Pacific Campaign Medal WWII
- European–African–Middle Eastern Campaign Medal WWII
- Iraq Campaign Medal
- Korean Defense Medal
- Korean Service Medal
- Kosovo Campaign Medal
- Merchant Marines Atlantic War Zone Medal
- Merchant Marines Middle East War Zone Medal
- Merchant Marines Pacific War Zone Medal
- National Defense Medal
- Southwest Asia Service Medal
- U.S. Flag (no eligibility required)
- Vietnam Service Medal
- War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
- War on Terrorism Service Medal
- World War I Victory Medal
How to apply
To apply for a veteran/military service emblem:
- Provide proof you’re eligible to receive the emblem:
- If you’re a veteran, a copy of your DD214 discharge papers.
- If you’re on active military duty, a copy of your orders awarding a campaign ribbon or medal.
- Complete a Veteran/Military Service Award Emblem Application form and sign the application to certify your eligibility:
- If you apply at a licensing office, sign the form in front of a licensing service representative.
- If you apply by mail, you must have your signature notarized.
- Submit your application, proof of eligibility, and the $10 fee:
How to renew
You aren’t required to renew your veteran/military service award emblem. However, you must renew your vehicle license registration (tabs) unless your vehicle has plates that are exempt from renewal.
How to replace your emblems
Visit a vehicle licensing office and:
- Complete and sign a Certificate of Fact stating why you need replacement emblems.
- Provide all of the following:
- Your photo ID (such as your driver license or ID card) so the office can certify your signature on the form.
- A copy of your DD214 discharge papers or other proof of the awards or ribbons you’re eligible to receive.
- Pay the $10 fee, if necessary. (An additional service fee may apply.)
- You may be able to get replacement emblems at no cost if: