Transfer plates to another vehicle
You can transfer your vehicle license plates to another vehicle if the new vehicle is:
- Titled and registered in your name.
- Registered in Washington State.
Verify your address
When you transfer your license plates to another vehicle, you must verify your residence street address or business address with us by:
- Visiting your local vehicle licensing office.
- Entering your address (even if it hasn’t changed) in one of our online address systems:
How to transfer license plates to another vehicle
You may transfer your license plate to another vehicle:
- In person at your local vehicle licensing office. (Additional service fees may apply.)
- By mailing all of the following to any vehicle licensing office:
- A copy of the registration for the vehicle you want the plate transferred to.
- A letter indicating that you want your plates transferred to the new vehicle. The letter should include:
- your license plate number.
- your current residence and mailing address.
- A check or money order for the fee. Please contact your local vehicle licensing office to determine the exact cost to transfer your plates, including all licensing fees.