Take a survey: Tell us how we're doing!

Transfer ownership when buying from a private party

After you buy a vehicle from a private party or get one as a gift, you must transfer the ownership into your name within 15 days.

To transfer the ownership, you’ll need…

If the title is lost the seller(s) completes the Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest and signs it in front of a notary public, county auditor, or licensing agent.

How to transfer the ownership into your name

In an office

Bring the documents above that apply, and cash or check for the fee to:

By mail

Send this notarized Vehicle Certificate of Ownership Application with required documents and check or money order for the fee payable to Department of Licensing.

To get your new title in 8–10 weeks, mail to any vehicle licensing office.

To get a your title immediately, request a Quick Title (extra fee applies) and mail your application, documents, and fees to a Quick Title office*

*Note: Quick titles aren’t available for snowmobiles, vehicles or boats reported as stolen, insurance or wrecker-destroyed vehicles and boats, or vehicles with ”WA rebuilt“ on the title.


Contact a vehicle licensing office to get the exact amount.

Deadlines and penalties

You must transfer ownership within 15 calendar days from the date of purchase, or pay the following penalties:

  • $50 on the 16th day.
  • $2 per day for each day after the 16th day, up to a maximum of $125.

Get tips about buying a vehicle

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website