If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your license: Bail bond agency/branch office

Who needs a license?

Anyone who offers bail bond services.


All company owners, partners, or agents must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or resident alien.
  • Have no convictions in the past 10 years that directly relate to your ability to perform your duties or hinder public safety.
  • Have a physical business location in Washington State.
  • Have a valid business license with Department of Revenue.

If your agency is a corporation you must have:

  • A copy of articles of incorporation.
  • A list of officers, departments, and their addresses.

What you'll need

  • A SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online.
    • If you don't have one, you'll be able to create one before you start.
    • For help visit How to set up account access.
  • Copies of your bond documents.
  • Written certifications from previous employers if applying using experience.

How to apply

Apply online

  • Prepare your documents for upload:
    • Copies of bond documents
    • Written certifications if using experience
  • Create or use your SAW account to apply and pay your fees online.
Apply online

Apply by mail

Send the following:

  • Completed Bail Bond Agency/Branch Office License Application
  • Written certifications, if using experience
    • If you don't provide proof, you'll be scheduled for an exam within 3 weeks after we've received your paid application.
  • $10,000 surety bond
  • Check or money order for the application fee (payable to the Department of Licensing)
  • If you write property bonds:
    • Court names that have given approval for the placing of property bonds
  • If you write surety bail bonds:
    • The name and address of the surety
    • The attorney in fact
    • The name that the build-up fund is in

Mail to:

Bail Bond Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. For more information visit military assistance.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. For more information, visit Get paid back for test fees.

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon