File a complaint: Cosmetologists
How to file a complaint
You can file online or by mail.
- Complete a Professional Licensing Support Services Complaint .
- Attach all of the following:
- A detailed description of your complaint, including dates, other parties involved, and a summary of any efforts you've already made to resolve the problem. Describe events in the order they occurred.
- Copies of all documents that relate to the complaint.
- Submit the completed form and supporting documents to:
Professional Licensing Support Services
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9026
Olympia WA 98507-9026
What happens after you submit your complaint
- We determine if the complaint falls within our legal authority.
- If it isn't covered by our laws, we'll notify you.
- If it appears to fall within our authority, we may conduct an investigation. Our investigator will act as an impartial, fact-finding third party. During the investigation, they aren't representing you, us, or the service provider. The investigator may contact the person you filed your complaint against to ask for a response, and may give them a copy of your complaint. The length of time an investigation takes depends on current caseload and the complexity of the case.
- After all the facts have been gathered, we evaluate the information.
- If the evidence doesn't show a violation of the laws, we'll dismiss the case.
- If a violation has occurred, we may recommend a disciplinary action, such as a reprimand, fine, or license suspension.
- The person you filed the complaint against may request a hearing to dispute the decision.
- We'll notify you of the outcome of your complaint.
Our decisions don't constitute legal opinion. We don't have the authority to recover funds, award damages, or make judicial determinations. To pursue these types of remedies, seek legal advice.