If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your instructor license: Out-of-state license

Licensing requirements

  • To get your cosmetology instructor license in Washington state (WA), you must have:
    • A current instructor license in good standing in another state or foreign country.
    • and
    • A current cosmetology, barber, manicurist, esthetician, hair design, or master esthetician license in WA.
  • After you get your license, you must post it at your work station.

How to get your license

  1. Complete a Cosmetology, Hair Design, Barber, Manicurist, Esthetician, Master Esthetician, or Instructor License Renewal, Reinstatement, Out-of-Country, or Reciprocity Application (English, Español, Русский, and more).
  2. Provide proof you've passed the state-approved written and performance examinations.
  3. Provide proof you have a current license in good standing in another state or foreign country.
    • A copy of your license isn't proof of licensure. Please contact the state you're licensed in to request a verification.
  4. Mail your completed application, supporting documents, and a check or money order (payable to Department of Licensing) for the fee to:
    Cosmetology Program
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 3856
    Seattle, WA 98124-3856

Note: If you apply for a WA license, it won't affect your license in another state.

For veterans

U.S. Veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information: Education and Training | Licensing and Certification

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website